Windows 7 RC 7100

Reaction score
I have an anoying thing comes up and says that the RC will expire and get a RTM version. note this is on my other computer not by main gaming computer (which has the RTM version). What does the warning mean.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It means you are using a "Release Candidate" version of Windows 7. It was only intended to be used as a trial for people who downloaded it back in mid-2009.

RTM means "Release To Manufacturing", it is the final version of Windows 7. You will have to do a clean install and then put in a good genuine product key to keep it activated.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can download a 90 day trial of Enterprise from Microsoft at no cost, if you need to buy a little more time. It's available at the Microsoft Download Center. I just got an email from Microsoft, there was a description of it. You have to activate it within 10 days to continue using it. It's a step above the Professional edition.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
catilley - Enterprise is the same as the Professional version. Just added bit locker encryption and UNIX support for companies, and MUI multiple user interface.

Other than that they're basically cookie-cutters.

Enterprise uses VLK or Volume Licensing Key and Professional uses the regular product key. Enterprise is used by companies and large corporations, etc.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Still, as you have said, a step (although not a large one) over Pro. Just offering a suggestion to buy him some time.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I would do what Catilley is suggesting and either install a trial of Enterprise, or buy a retail copy, because if I remember correctly the RC is going to start powering down every couple of hours at some point.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
All of the RC versions of Windows 7 will begin to power down every two hours starting in March. Then in May they will no longer work at all.

Since coco works in a computer store he can get an OEM version of Windows 7 Professional for around $180 USD. Maybe even less expensive with his employee discount.

Ask a Question