SOLVED Windows 7 Purchase at Newegg

Reaction score
Reaction score
It not a multi license. It's a single license that can be transfered to a different computer if needed. Meaning you can only have it licensed on one computer at any given time.

Multi-license insinuates installing to more than one computer at the same time.

Edit:
OEM comes in a cardboard sleeve.

How will MS know, though? I can build another computer and tell them I changed a couple of parts and ask them for another key.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off they can know you have two computers using the same code because whenever your computer runs Microsoft update it sends some form of the Product key as well as something which identifies the MOBO. So if two computers call Microsoft update with the same product key and different MOBO codes then they can disable that Product Key completely and then both computers end up with a nasty Not Genuine message in the lower right on an all black background plus your computer will automatically start taking longer and longer to boot up until you enter a valid product key. This is why buying just a Product Key from someone other than Microsoft is dangerous because they can be selling the same key to 100s of people and it works for a while but when Microsoft catches it, usually in 1 to 4 months, then boom all those people are shut down and the seller is gone into the wind.

If you ever get the message that your computer cannot be activated via the internet it is already after you have entered the Product Key. If you call and they approve it because of a hardware modification then what they give you is an Activation code to key into the error box you see when the Call Microsoft error popped up (whoever said they give you a new Product Key misspoke, they meant Activation Code). For these single-user license packs, one Product Key ... one computer ... period.

Microsoft does (or at least did) sell 3-packs of Windows 7 Home Premium for people with up to 3 computers at home ... that would be called a multi-pack The ones you are looking at are OEM and Full.

Note: I don't know if the multi-packs come with 3 Product Keys or just with a special Product Key that allows for up to 3 computers but either way this is not the case for the ones you are looking at.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Note: I don't know if the multi-packs come with 3 Product Keys or just with a special Product Key that allows for up to 3 computers but either way this is not the case for the ones you are looking at.
I can answer that question. There is a single key that allows installation on three PC's. The key card looks identical to a single license key card. It doesn't even state it's a three PC license though I'm sure Microsoft keeps up with it.

Office 2010 Home and Student is the same way, a single key card for all three installations.

I also purchased Nero 10 Family Pack on-line, they had three independent keys emailed to me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You don't have to be done the build to buy the product if you know you are going to use it.

But anyway, sign up for the Newegg Newsletter and you get one or more emails per day.

Reaction score
You don't have to be done the build to buy the product if you know you are going to use it.

But anyway, sign up for the Newegg Newsletter and you get one or more emails per day.

I'm already subbed to that. Next question.... is a computer hard to build? Sure, I've never built one before but I do obviously know my way around the inside. Give me any computer and I can disassemble the parts for you. But, putting it back together and even worse buying it from Newegg which doesn't accept refunds is harsh.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Building your own computer is basically very easy since it's all 'plug n play'. There are several good tutorials on how to do it. Probably the most difficult area is mounting the fan/heatsink combo to the CPU mount on the motherboard, everything else is just plugging in RAM, graphics card and any other PCI cards, then routing the cables.

Reaction score
Building your own computer is basically very easy since it's all 'plug n play'. There are several good tutorials on how to do it. Probably the most difficult area is mounting the fan/heatsink combo to the CPU mount on the motherboard, everything else is just plugging in RAM, graphics card and any other PCI cards, then routing the cables.
Oh wow, ok thanks!

Ask a Question