Windows 7 product ID

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, my question is very simple and I hope to get an answer as soon as possible:
what does mean each number group that conform the Windows product ID; that to say, these string:
XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX. For example, If a Windows is preinstalled on a new laptop or pc, the second group is OEM but if not, what should be this value and the rest of groups?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Values in the second grouping are 3 numeric characters with retail Windows 7 key installs.

The product ID is computer specific, that is the hardware specific to that system build.

"The method used to activate Windows 7 for single-user licenses. Bulk licenses to companies do not contain Windows Product Activation (WPA). When Windows 7 is installed, WPA combines the Windows 7 product ID with identification data from the hardware components it finds in the machine (display, SCSI, IDE and network adapters, hard drive serial number, processor type and serial number, etc.). This combined ID (the HWID) must be transmitted to Microsoft within 30 days, whereby Microsoft returns an internal authorization that is stored in the operating system, making it valid. If more than six hardware components are replaced, the activation must be done again."

Reaction score
Values in the second grouping are 3 numeric characters with retail Windows 7 key installs.

The product ID is computer specific, that is the hardware specific to that system build.

"The method used to activate Windows 7 for single-user licenses. Bulk licenses to companies do not contain Windows Product Activation (WPA). When Windows 7 is installed, WPA combines the Windows 7 product ID with identification data from the hardware components it finds in the machine (display, SCSI, IDE and network adapters, hard drive serial number, processor type and saterial number, etc.). This combined ID (the HWID) must be transmitted to Microsoft within 30 days, whereby Microsoft returns an internal authorization that is stored in the operating system, making it valid. If more than six hardware components are replaced, the activation must be done again."
Thanks for your answer but that isn't what I want to know. Let me be more specific:
Suppose the first group XXXXX means that Windows language is Spanish, the second one means that Windows is preinstalled and activated by manufacturer on a pc or laptop (OEM) and so on. I think that each group means something no matter how it is calculated.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
You're talking about the part number of the copy of Windows. It isn't the product key nor is it the version number. From that string of characters Microsoft can tell regional, OEM, etc information about that specific copy of Windows. This information is not available in the CD key.

You may be asked to supply this part number if you're dealing with Microsoft's technical support. As for how the string is formulated, you'll have to ask them about. Try TechNet or something.

Ask a Question