Windows 7 Pro 32bit & 64bit - How do I choose?

JBG

Reaction score
Hi :),

A new business computer was recenlty purchased and setup for a client. Windows 7 Pro 64bit was installed. Unfortunately a software the client uses is not compatiable with 64-bit OS.

Is it correct that each copy of Windows 7 contains both 32bit & 64 bit versions ???

If so, how do I choose to install the 32-bit version (I don't recall during OS installation being directly asked or given a choice on this) ???

Also, is there any type of 'Program Compatiablity' tool or option to select within Windows 7 Pro for 32-bit program backward compatiabilty ???

And finally, am I assuming correctly that the Windows XP virtualization within Windows 7 Pro is 64-bit also ???

Thanks for you help !!!

Jason

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Jason - Welcome to w7forums

OEM comes 32-Bit or 64-Bit but not both. The retail box has 2 disk, one for 32-Bit and the second for 64-Bit.

When purchasing OEM, select the version you want when you buy.
When purchasing Retail, select the version you want from the two disk in the box.

Just about all 32-Bit applications will work with Windows 7 64-Bit

Yes there is Application Compatibility Mode, which is designed for greater compatibility with programs designed for older operating systems.

XP Mode is XP SP3 32-Bit regardless of whether it is installed in Windows 7 32-Bit or 64-Bit.

Ask a Question