Windows 7 OS 64 bit vs Office 2010 32 bit

cem

Reaction score
Hope someone can help me. I have a mac and I am running Windows 7 OS on parallels for mac. The Windows 7 OS is 64 bit. I attempted to download the Sharepoint Developer 2010 (64bit) but when I attempt to install it states I can not run it due to Office 2010 32 bit not compatiable. Any ideas what I may have done incorrect or where to start?

Reaction score
You probably have Office 2010 32 bit installed. To doublecheck in Windows 7 open Computer , double click on C:, then double click on Program Files (x86). If you see a folder named Microsoft Office there then you have the Office 2010 32 bit version installed. In 64 bit Windows all 64 bit program's are in C:\Program Files and 32 bit are all in Program Files (x86).From what I understand Office 2010 x64 isn't compatible with alot of different software, yet. Stick with 32 bit Office for now, especially if you use Outlook.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I suspect they work together so it's like asking it to install 32 bit Word and 64 bit Excel. Either use 32-bit Sharepoint Developer or 64-bit Office.

Reaction score
Yeah, all the computer magazines have even stated that Microsoft recommends usin the 32 bit version of Office over the 64 bit. As the 64 bit version is new, so therefore compatibilty with Office addins or other software that works with Office will have issues. I'd stick with the 32 bit version of Office for at least a year and possibly longer for the other software to catch up. Look at Windows, how long has it been since Microsoft came out with the Windows XP 64 bit version. It was either 2003, 2004 or 2005. How many actual 64 bit software is available today. Not much, compared to x86 software versions. Only IE and a variation of Firefox have 64 bit version browsers. Adobe finally came out with a 64 bit flash player in August. Not many people know about that one, because it's called Adobe Square instead of Flash Player. All the software available still don't take advantage of multi-core cpu's What it's going to take for these software companies to catch up with 2010 technology is for Microsoft, Apple and Linux to ditch x86 versions of the operating systems. Until something like that happening, the software companies aren't going to change anything, as they won't have to until , they're forced to. We'll be seeing 96 or 128 bit operating sytems in 3-7 years probably. I mean we can already purchase 6-core cpu's. 8-core or more is on the way possibly even in 2011, as Intel and AMD have new cpu architecture in place. AMD is supposed to come out with a new motherboard architecture by next summer. It's about time these various software companies realized it's almost 2011, not 1997.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The MAIN reason MS recommends the 32-bit version of Office 2010 is because there are updates for it, while the 64-bit does not have updates available yet.

When I got my MS Office 2010 Professional Plus it came with both the 32 and 64-bit versions. So I'll be fine for future installs and upgrades.

BTW, the Office 2010 32-bit run just fine on my X64 Windows 7 Pro installation. VERY FAST!

Ask a Question