Windows 64 Bit and Older Office?

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide whether to get the 32 bit or 64 bit for my laptop. I've been looking at the differences, and my computer can run the 64 bit, but I use Office 2002. I'm really not sure if this will be an issue...
Also, are there a lot of programs or printers and stuff nowadays that won't run on a 64 bit?
One last thing, is a 64 bit slower than a 32 bit?

~Technologically Challenged

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have never heard of Office 2002. Is it maybe Office 2003?

You should have no issues at all running Office on a 64 bit Windows 7 system.

Nearly all 32 bit programs will run on the x64 system. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

Now some of the older printers and other hardware like scanners, if their over 3-5 years old, may have some driver issues with the x64 systems. Many people have had success with the Vista 64 bit drivers, even though they only came out in 2007.

No, 64 bit not slower than 32 bit. A good analogy would be a 4 lane highway compared to 8 lane highway. In many ways it is quite a bit faster, especially if the software is written for 64 bit.

I hope this helps.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
cittencity, welcome to the forums! 64 bit is the way to go, as with the next Windows release, there won't be a 32 bit version offered. Also, no matter how much RAM you have, 32 bit will only use 3GB of it. But if you have an older laptop, some will only run 32 bit OS's, and if it's still in good shape, then 32 bit will have to do. Windows 7 will be around for a while, so whether new or old, you're covered. And your older Office will work with 64 bit, it does on my sister's PC. It will be a while before 32 bit apps won't work.

Ask a Question