Windows 7 on a Del Latitude D410

Reaction score
I have a Del Latitude D410. I need to install a new hard drive, and am wondering if the computer will support Windows 7 as an OS?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Freddy Kruger, welcome to the forum! I had Windows 7 installed on a Latitude C640, which is older than yours, it ran, but there were problems. It wouldn't sleep, had no Aero screen, which makes it look dull and lifeless looking. And unless you've upgraded, that must be a Pentium 4 or lower processor. You're going to have problems, Freddy. I'm not trying to discourage you, but you'll never get the full Windows 7 experience with this laptop. In fact, I'm currently running it on a D610, it functions well, but still no Aero. If it's all you have to work with, I can appreciate your situation, but don't expect miracles to happen. And Windows Update will only go back so far on the drivers for this laptop. However, I do wish you the best of success on your project, and should you require any further assistance, always feel free to post.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi!
What OS are you running now? If you have Vista it should be ok. Still, run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor.
Link: www.windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor

Sorry, but I can't help you for the HDD.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
That is a good question, Fire Cat. Freddy, what OS are you running on this laptop? It was configured to run Win 2K or XP Pro.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a greenhorn and went to a Big Box Store and bought what they sold me...not what I needed. Therefore I have Windows 7 on the computer and a new 320 Gig WD hard drive. I installed them both last night and aside from not knowing about the pin extender everything went OK as far as I know at this time. I know I won't get the full value out of the Windows 7 OS. The computer is older, running a Pentium M 1.73 GHz processor and only has 512 MB of ram. At this time the audio isn't working on the computer. I can get on the internet, but haven't played with it much because I haven't installed any antivirus software. I won't know what I have...or don't till I get a chance to give it a test drive.

Thanks for your input

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Freddy Kruger, first thing you need to consider doing is upgrading your RAM. On these laptops, the sticks are not hard to find & replace. On eBay, you'll find several sources of RAM at competitive prices. Keep in mind here that your laptop is older (like mine), therefore you don't need to spend a ton for RAM. 1-800-4MEMORY is a good source for refurbished RAM that carries a lifetime warranty. Your laptop should hold at least 1GB, possibly 2GB of RAM.

Secondly, Dell Support has all kinds of drivers for your model of laptop, for free download. They have an audio driver for your laptop.

Third, your anti-virus software, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free all in one virus & malware protection. I run it on both of my systems without problems.

Fourth and last, you need to make a quick visit to Windows Update, for all of the latest updates & patches for your laptop. Some drivers, but not all, may be found there.

Freddy, try these things first, especially the updating and virus download. This in itself will improve things a lot. Should you require further assistance, always feel free to post.
Later,
Cat

Reaction score
I'm surprising myself. I have everything working but the audio. When I hover over the audio icon I get the message "no audio output device installed". I have installed drivers from the Dell website and still can't get the device to work. Any suggestions?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is what happened to me, Freddy. I have a custom driver disc for my laptop that I bought on eBay for $5. In the Device Manager, the "Multimedia Audio Controller" wasn't installed. It was on the disc that I had bought. You can try a search for it, but I couldn't find it on Dell's site. The only times that I had this issue was when installing Windows 7 & Vista. I've checked on the net, you're either going to have to find that controller download or find a driver disc for your laptop on eBay or wherever you can. There is a eBay seller who sells a lot of these discs, if he's still there. I hope that this is of some help to you, Freddy. Hang in there, you'll get going.

Reaction score
That amazing. It appears Microsoft has invested heavily in the Media portion of Windows 7, probably in an attempt to compete with Apple. To have this be a common issue would appear to be a pretty big problem. Anyway thanks again for the guidance. I will go out there and see if I can find a "Multimedia Audio Controller" for Windows 7.

Freddy

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
That amazing. It appears Microsoft has invested heavily in the Media portion of Windows 7, probably in an attempt to compete with Apple. To have this be a common issue would appear to be a pretty big problem. Anyway thanks again for the guidance. I will go out there and see if I can find a "Multimedia Audio Controller" for Windows 7.

Freddy
It isn't a common issue Freddy. This only happens because the computers were not designed/too old for Windows 7.

The only media related annoyence that I found on Windows 7 was missing codecs. But that's easily fixed.

Well, glad you could solve your problem.

Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You may need to go to the Control Panel, then Sound. Then right-click in the windows area in the Playback Tab. Select "Show Dis-abled Devices" and then see if your sound controller or chipset shows up, select it and you should be good.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It isn't a common issue Freddy. This only happens because the computers were not designed/too old for Windows 7.

The only media related annoyence that I found on Windows 7 was missing codecs. But that's easily fixed.

Well, glad you could solve your problem.

Fire Cat
Fire Cat, his problem hasn't been solved yet. He has to find a mulitmedia audio controller for his laptop. Dell doesn't offer it as a download. What he needs is a custom driver disc for his make & model of laptop. I had the very same problem, when installing 7 & Vista.

Reaction score
I've gone online in an attempt to find a Multimedia Audio Controller and I'm always directed to drivers. I've installer drivers and that isn't solving my problem. Is their a difference between a Multimedia Audio Controller and a driver? Before I buy something I want to be reasonably sure I'm buying what I need to fix the problem.

Thanks

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Freddy, what you need to do is find a driver disc for your laptop on eBay. Go to the home page, and enter "driver disc for dell latitude D410", w/o the quotes, this may lead you to what you need. I bought two of them, one for my Latitude C640 & D610 for $5 each. You may to do a lot of searching within the pages, but it may pay off. If Dell offered such a disc for your laptop, you'd pay out of the tail for it.

Reaction score
I've been able to find a driver recovery disc for Dell Latitude D410. I assume they are the same. They don't say they are for Windows 7, they all stop at Vista. Is this what I want?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been able to find a driver recovery disc for Dell Latitude D410. I assume they are the same. They don't say they are for Windows 7, they all stop at Vista. Is this what I want?
It should work, Freddy. Mine didn't say they were for Windows 7, either. They are your stock drivers, and your controller should be on it. As far as that controller goes, it doesn't matter which version it is, what matters is that it works for your laptop. When I install Win 2K or XP or Linux Mint, this component is loaded by default. But not so with Vista or Windows 7.

Most likely, the disc will have plenty of tools and functions on it. Like testing tools and so forth. I hope that the disc will help, and when you get it, post back if you have problems, and I'll do my best to help. When I insert mine and it loads, I select "install hardware drivers", and the device manager opens. You'll see what needs attention. You click onto the multimedia audio controller, there will be some small symbols at the top of the device manager screen. You select the one that says "update device software" (or wording close to that nature). Then when you're asked where to find the software, you point it to your DVD/CD device, and the program will search the disc for the software. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes. But if you still need help, post back, I'll notice the post.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Ask a Question