Here are my specs:

- Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A-UD3R
- Processor: Intel Core i5 CPU, (Quad core) 750 @ 2.67 Ghz
- Memory: 4096Mb DDR3
- Graphics Card: Nvidea 8800 GTS, 320 mb
- Resolution 1280x1024 (default)
- Anti Virus is "Norton 360"

Tell me If you need more.
The problem started soon after I installed Windows 7, and the computer persists on freezing every so often. It is an intermittent problem and I am sure it does not freeze in safe mode. My computer is a gaming computer if that has any relevance.

Thank you for your time.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :ciao:

It is interesting that it doesn't freeze in safe mode, as this could mean it is an application running in the background that causes the freeze.

When your PC freezes, will it remain frozen indefinitely? Also, are all your drivers up to date (graphics, chipset, audio, etc...)?

Can you run "msconfig" and list all the items in the startup tab, and we can see what you have running in the background. Screenshots might be easiest :).

Reaction score
Same deal here. I've got windows 7 professional and the freezing was random. I have 64 bit, but am using 32 bit IE because flash player is not supported on 64. I tried to restore and it wouldnt let me until i turned off Norton 360. Then i was able to restore. i started the download adobe acrobat 9 standard. Now its frozen. Ctrl-alt-delete does nothing. i have to hard boot it to restart

Reaction score
I would check that you have the latest drivers for your picture cards before anything else as Ian suggested. (The default drivers in W7 aren’t the best for gaming anyway)

The other thing it could be is Norton 360 performing back ground scans however I wouldn't think that an i5 would stumble and freeze due to that. Best to check the drivers first.

For matter of reference I have a Core2Quad Q6600, 64 Bit W7 Home, 275GTX card, running Norton 360 and have never had a freezing issue, I am also a gamer... (System specs to the side tell the whole story of my set up)

I did build an i5 the week before last with W7 64bit but I installed the correct ATI drivers for the HD4770 card. In fact the setup is very close to yours Sacredsoul, also running Norton 360 without issue...

Reaction score
Thanks, i have really fixed it now. It wont let me even start a system restore. I get
"Problem Starting C:/program files (86)\NOS\bin\getPlus\Helper.dll ??????
and when i try to system restore i get :
Volume Shadow Copy error 0x80042302
Maybe its sending me a message. I now am using my Mac.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :ciao:

It is interesting that it doesn't freeze in safe mode, as this could mean it is an application running in the background that causes the freeze.

When your PC freezes, will it remain frozen indefinitely? Also, are all your drivers up to date (graphics, chipset, audio, etc...)?

Can you run "msconfig" and list all the items in the startup tab, and we can see what you have running in the background. Screenshots might be easiest :).
Thanks Ian.

It freezes indefinely, as far as I can tell, and I know my Graphics driver is up-to-date. I'll check my chipset and audio for you.

My startup is as follows:

- Normal Startup:
Windows Live Messenger
Daemon Tools Pro
Wireless service (aniwzcs2)
Quicktime
Itunes
Java
Limewire
"Wireless Lan Monitor"

Reaction score
You could stop the following to see if it made a difference. I personally would as I don't like waiting for my system to start and these "start ups" would slow you a little, depending on your system specs.

Windows Live Messenger
Daemon Tools Pro
Quicktime
Itunes
Java
Limewire

All of the above will start when you open the corresponding program so don't need to be starting with your OS.

I haven’t had any dealings with “Wireless service (aniwzcs2)” but it’s apparently linked to a D-Link router?? Can’t say I needed a 3rd party app for my wireless Netgear Modem/ Router to work with win 7 but I did need to run a firmware on a newer Netgear modem/ router wireless upgrade I did recently so you may need that.

What are your system specs?

Ask a Question