Windows 7 install decision, nearly there?

Reaction score
Right, after many questions and thanks to many helpful answers nearly there in going for it and doing a clean install of Windows 7 64 pro.
I am running XP 32 MCE at the moment, having read loads & loads of stuff and over many hours staring at this screen the last bit of info after getting conflicting opinoions, all my files ect. I have copied on external hard drive but on the microsoft site the easy transfer facility do i do this by downloading the 32 bit system? or as I am installing 64 bit is it this one? or in 7W7 pro 64 can I bring over my files from the External hard drive?

I know this is long winded but ready to make the jump but without my files!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In order to do a really efficient install you'll need to do a clean or "custom" install as Windows 7 calls it.

Transfer all the files, folders, docs, audio, video, photos, etc. that you want to keep to the external hard drive and then do the new install.

Set your DVD drive in your computer to be the "First Boot Device" in your system BIOS and save that setting. Put the Windows 7 install DVD in the drive and again restart your computer and you'll see the following prompt: "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD drive". Do that within 4-5 seconds and the install will begin.

Be sure to first download all the latest Windows 7 drivers for your motherboard, sound card, LAN or wireless adapter, video card, etc., and save them to the external drive or a thumb drive if you have one.

If you're installing the 64-bit version of Windows 7 be sure your hardware is 64-bit capable first.

You may use the MS Easy Transfer wizard if you want, I don't like it and it's not that great in my opinion.

Let us know how it goes and keep us posted on your progress.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost forgot my manners.

Welcome billblackhome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

Reaction score
Just to be sure are you saying once I have done the initial W7 install down load and install onto my machine all the relevant drivers. On completion copy all these drivers onto my external hard drive where all my stored files are. and do a new resart with the W7 DVD in thr disc drive?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Prior to the new install download the drivers and save them on the external drive.

Then when you're done with the install and you've activated Windows 7 and done the update through Windows Update then begin installing the drivers starting first with the chipset driver for the motherboard, then your video card driver, network driver, sound driver, etc.

Drivers need to installed AFTER you've installed Windows 7.

I hope I'm being clear, if not let me know.

Reaction score
Nibs, would the OP be safer saving all his new drivers to a CD or a thumb drive. Better chance of Windows looking/seeing a CD in the off chance it wont see a usb port or external HDD till all drivers are up to date?

Reaction score
I'd update all the drivers in that order before Windows Updates. Manufacturer's drivers may be newer than those offered by Windows.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Manufacturer's drivers are almost always newer than those obtained from Windows Update, unless you're running a 5+ year old computer. I know, because Windows Update delivered an old video driver onto my desktop, I had the other backed up, and reinstalled it.

The thing to watch for, after your drivers are properly updated (manually, by the user), is that MS Update will attempt to load old drivers over new. That's why during a new install (or reinstall), I don't select Automatic Updates. I manually check the updates until it's completely updated, if a hardware driver tries to install, you can choose to "hide" the update. That way, the same old outdated drivers will stop being installed. I never switch on Automatic Updates for at least a week after an install, so that I can be sure that all of the older drivers are "hidden".

On the other hand, if you do have a 5+ year old computer built to run XP, the manufacturer may not have Windows 7 (or even Vista) drivers. Windows Update may be your best solution in this case, as some older drivers can be hard to find. Although a lot of my notebook's parts were made by Intel, the only download offered to me through their online scanner was an updated Wi-Fi driver. What Windows Update didn't have, Driver Max did. It's a good place to go for older builds, you can get two free drivers per day, or you can pay for a year's subscription and update the whole computer at once.

Cat

Reaction score
Drivers are optional, not downloaded automatically, at least, not with my 3 7 systems.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Nibs, would the OP be safer saving all his new drivers to a CD or a thumb drive. Better chance of Windows looking/seeing a CD in the off chance it wont see a usb port or external HDD till all drivers are up to date?
To be honest, yes. I just got home from work, sorry for the late response.

I keep all my drivers on a little 2.5" portable hard drive which is USB 2.0. What I do just "Copy & Paste" the entire driver folder to the extra partition on the hard drive of the new install or the desktop and go from there.

Actually if he just makes a dedicated folder for the drivers he'll be okay and find them easily on the external hard drive.

Ask a Question