Windows 7 Home Premium 64BIT FREEEEZE

Reaction score
Umm.

Ive been posting some infos on that 60 page long thread and was suggested to make a new thread for it, to make it more simple.. So here it is..

Im having the exact same issue as many others with Win7.. It freezes randomly..

Sometimes it freezes after only 5 seconds, other times after some hours.. Sometimes it freezes during bootup.. and 2 times it actually runned smoth for about a day and then it froze.

Ive tried almost everything to fix this problem. Ive ReInstalled windows 3 times. Updated all drivers. Change power to High and deactivated my Network Adapter.. No results so far. it still freezes..

My Equipment is

HP Pavilion DV6 2170EO

Win7 Home Premium 64Bit
Intel Core i7 720 qm . 1.6 Ghz
Nvidia Gefore GT 230M
6 GB Ram

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If the system freezes during bootup and after you're re-installed Windows, it sound like it could be a hardware or overheating releated problem.

Is this a reasonably new PC? Also, did you use the factory restore option when reinstalling Windows 7, if so, did it freeze at any point before you added any custom software?

Reaction score
Atm im looking some software called Real Temp 3.6 -
It says that the overall temp of the CPU is about 60 C.

The pc is just about 4 Months old. The problem started the 5th December.

And yes i used factory restore option, and it still froze. the first 2 times it actually froze during the reinstallment. and after that i disabled all updates and the internet connection. and it froze once.. Then i activated the network installed all Win7 Updates, including a Nvidia driver and a driver for my intel chipset.

It hasnt frozen yet since my post 4 hours ago..

But as i said earlier, ive had it uprunning for about a whole day without any freeze and still it froze the next day..

I am aware that it might be a hardware problem, but after seeing all thoose thousand posts on the internet, it still seems more obv that is software related.

Reaction score
The real tempt program says that my cpu is about 80 C when ingame, and about 58-60 when im on the desktop.

Is that to high? I have no idea. but i was told that new laptops normally has high tempatures

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it freezes during the factory restore process, it sounds like you should send the laptop back, as that imaging process shouldn't cause any freezing (normally it's totally separate to Windows, so confirms that it isn't an OS problem).

I'm not sure what the normal temps for a mobile i7 are, but Intel state that it should be able to operate at 100C max (although that would be far from ideal!), so 80C shouldn't cause freezing, AFAIK.

I'd send the laptop back for repair if it's under warranty :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When we say freeze we generally mean it gets slow for a few seconds and then goes back to normal (intermittent slowdowns). Are you saying that or is it "locking up completely" forcing you to restart the computer? Do you actually get the Blue Screen Of Death?

You say this started Dec 5th ... did you install any new software or hardware?

What steps have you already tried?

Have you scanned for viruses?

For slowdowns (not lock-ups):

- Have you made sure you have the latest Drivers and BIOS?-

- Have you set the power options to Best Performance?

- What anti-virus software do you use? Have you tried uninstalling it to see if there is any change?

For Lock-Ups:

- Hardware problems are a good possibility. If it is under warranty it's a good idea to contact the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
When i say freeze i mean a total lockup, restart is the only option.. i actually run for almost 2 days now, but then it froze agian..

I now digged out my old 1,6 Ghz desktop from the basemnt with good ol' XP on it, while the Laptop is beeing send back to the reseller :) Ill reply back on the post when i hear any news wherever it was a hardware error..

By the way, not that it matters now, but i did try it all, new drivers for every component, virus scan, deleting virusscanner and install new one, deactivate the wireliess lan, reinstalled 3 times, power options to HIgh Performance.

So im really looking forward to what the tecnich people will do with my laptop

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well hopefully it's hardware and they fix it. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Reaction score
So im back on my laptop, just got it home from the workshop..

They didnt mention if they found any errors, but they did change the HDD and a Heatsink..

And here comes the result.

IT STILL FREEZE.... Completly freeze, just like before.

2 times when i was on Internet Explorer and was signing into Messenger.. Then i uninstalled Messenger, and tried.. the it froze agian.. Im honestly getting sick of this now.. i had it at the workshop for 2 weeks. and it still fails completly.

Reaction score
Try doing a clean windows 7 install (meaning erasing everything) using a different disc/version... maybe its just the windows that came with the laptop that's faulty... worth a try at this point.

hope this helps.

Reaction score
Before i send my pc back to the reseller for a repair, i did a totaly recovery of the system 3 times without any help..

It also seems strange that it worked flawless for 4 months, and then the error suddenly appeared, if its a laptop faulty, the error should have showned at the moment i turned it on first..

Reaction score
Okay Guys who reads this..

Here's an update which is reeeeallly weird..

As i said i got my pc back from the repair, they switched the harddrive and a Heatsink...

First time i turned it on after the repair it froze.. then it froze some more, and a little bit more.. then i reinstalled the system to factory settings, just like i did it before.. and then it froze agian... but when i turned it on next day. No freeze at all.. and its been running smoothly for a week now..

I havent done anything to change it.. it just happend from one day to another

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Shhh! Don't tell everyone. Its the puter pixies. They pop in and fix things when your asleep.

Reaction score
Okay, im not saying that i acidently jinxed it by telling you guys..

But 1 hour after i posted the reply, my pc froze.. jesus christ..

Ask a Question