SOLVED Windows 7 - Glass Front Folders

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
A set of icons I made when I first got Windows 7 as an experiment in being able to see the full Album or Film cover.
I then decided to go with the glass effect (Vista) folders and so dropped this project.

I'd originally posted these elsewhere and subsequently forgot all about them, but now they've been "re-invented" I thought I'd post the originals.

The zip file contains the imageres numbered icons they replace and the PNG files.

Most people however will want to stay with the original yellow folder icons, in which case you would only need to replace the #6 icon (clear front, bottom left in image above).

The icons contain the full size range of 256sq, 64sq, 48sq, 32sq, 24sq + 16sq and will work in 64 and 32 bit systems (64 bit systems have two imageres files to amend, one in System32, the other in SysWOW64).

Downloadable at dA

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Nice work Elmer but how to apply this as my default icon style...i'm forgetting everything these days...need help i got the folder but just don't know (remember) to set it as default icon style i guess 1 has to copy this somewhere??????

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Awesome work Elmer!

DeekGeek, the only way you can apply these, is to replace the image inside the imageres DLL. You can do this with reshacker.

Just locate the DLL, open in reshacker, go to the "icon" folder inside the dll, and edit the appropriate image.

Maybe I'll compile these into a DLL ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Woow i guess little lost...:confused:

is "reshacker" another application/program/software??? If yes then any link to get it...can't this be a little simple then this...like just copy files to some folder...i can't recall how this is done...:dontknow:

Reaction score
ok i'll try the second option ie resource hacker..hopefully it work...:)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. I just hate changing registry stuff :p So much of a bore.

Reaction score
Me too :mad: at times it might not be the right thing to do as it might affect the reg...:beer:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup. Though, that tut is safe. I just can't be bothered to do all the steps and possibly risk screwing up.

Um... I just had a question. What's with all the fonts? Now you're using Comic Sans...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Right ... like changing a registry entry which is written in plain language is so much more dangerous than using a tool called "resource hacker" to manipulate system files which could then be replaced by a windows update at any time? I prefer a Reg Hack any day of the week.

P.S. be sure to use the create back-up file option, in case something goes wrong and your system hates the edited DLL.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Right ... like changing a registry entry which is written in plain language is so much more dangerous than using a tool called "resource hacker" to manipulate system files which could then be replaced by a windows update at any time? I prefer a Reg Hack any day of the week.

P.S. be sure to use the create back-up file option, in case something goes wrong and your system hates the edited DLL.

I guess - but the end DLL is much more usefull if ever you need to apply the same icons somewhere else or on an other computer.

And if you mess up - Just delete your modified DLL and put th ebackup back in place. It's not that easy with the registry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yup. Though, that tut is safe. I just can't be bothered to do all the steps and possibly risk screwing up.

Um... I just had a question. What's with all the fonts? Now you're using Comic Sans...

I'm not sure if i'm really gonna try bcz recently i reinstalled my OS 3 times in less then two weeks...so i'm gonna hold on to that for quiet some while...;)

Fire Cat nothing serious, just for fun...hate to be stereo type & sticking with 1...
:D

Reaction score
Hahahaa :D No not the members of this forum or any individual...
that's y i referred to myself not being bane or stereotype...:rolleyes:

Any windows 7 user (again i'm not commenting on other OS users) can never be stereotype bcz this OS makes 1 to experiment every 2nd minute like changing themes,wallpapers etc. :cool:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hahahaa :D No not the members of this forum or any individual...
that's y i referred to myself not being bane or stereotype...:rolleyes:

Any windows 7 user (again i'm not commenting on other OS users) can never be stereotype bcz this OS makes 1 to experiment every 2nd minute like changing themes,wallpapers etc. :cool:
Very true :D

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
These are intended to replace the original icons in your imageres.dll file.
You take a copy and modify it and use that to replace the original system file(s, 64 bit system has two).

I generally use the .dll replacement method once I'm certain it's what I want but I also use the regedit method. Both have their pluses.

The regedit method is "safer" in respect if an "update" changes things, and you've been clever and exported your registry mod, then it's just a double click to restore. But nowadays I've got my system file replacement down to a fine art (I've done it that many times over the years!).

DeekGeek
If you want I'll knock up a reg file for you to try them out.
You might want to take a look at THIS as well, it has different coloured folder backs.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm retracting that offer DeekGeek. I've spent ages messing about trying to get the "active" folders to change using the registry and they're not playing today. :(

Instead I've modified two Imageres.dll files to include the folder icons and I'm uploading them. One has the "open" folder look for the 16sq ico and the other has a "flat" folder look (think XP folders).

Rename your original Imageres.dll file(s) (You might need to take ownership of the file to do this) to something like ImageresOld.dll and copy/paste the replacement.

Delete your thumbnail caches through Disk Cleanup and delete your Iconcache.db file which you'll find in C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local

Re-boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Not bad....i'll wait for some time & then gonna give it a try...look what have i done :confused:
instead of glass folder i got my whole windows glassed...:rolleyes:

2.jpg

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Not bad....i'll wait for some time & then gonna give it a try...look what have i done :confused:
instead of glass folder i got my whole windows glassed...:rolleyes:

View attachment 1732

Nice!

Here in England if you have your "Whole windows glassed" you would most likely be getting in touch with your local constabulary!! :D

B.T.W. Every time I re-boot that clock gadget jumps back to the right hand side of the screen.

Ask a Question