Windows 7 freezing in normal mode and sometimes in safe mode

BWS

Reaction score
So, hello everyone, im here just like most of the people here, to get some help, the problem started few days ago, seemed like it was a problem with the casing, there were strange sounds coming from PC like if the HDD was jamming or it was out of frame, but if it was, then the sound would be like double per once, but the sound only comes from one side, the other side of HDD stays the same way, without making any sounds.

As asking for any help or what could cause the problem, i came across these things: For one, the CPU could be screwed up and it could be caused by CPU, but then the CPU would be dead and it wouldnt start up at all or it would be struggling and it would start up once in all the times, not start up at all, and as mentioned before, it could be HDD most likely, but as i posted, only one side makes the sound which makes the possibility that some software or Virus is making the HDD do so.

So basically, i start the windows up, as soon as i log in with my user in normal mode, some icons appear, others stay white and the PC doesnt load any further till it throws: Windows is not responding, do you want to terminate this program, as you click yes or no, nothing happens, it either terminates Explorer.exe, but you still cant use Task manager or nothing, simply doesnt respond at all, as well as makes the HDD jamming sound.

Now if you go in Safe mode, it loads up fine and the HDD doesnt make that sound which actually proves the problem is caused by some software or by system error, as it freezes in same place, which means there could be some missing file or something in it, but the thing is, when i tried for that matter to Scan the PC in safe mode, on some particular files it Freezed again and started the jamming sound, you cannot simply delete them as it freezes all the time.

Is there any way my fellow Win 7 users could help me with this problem?

Reaction score
Hi.

Weird noises or any type of "new" sound coming from a hard drive means it's going to be unusable within a short period of time and that something is wrong.

I'd replace the HDD.

Reactions: BWS

BWS

Reaction score
Yeah, well, the HDD aint actually a problem, as its only 16 GB big and only for System.

But still the problem is a bit more catchy, i mean, yeah, as we looked at it, we wanted to get rid of that HDD as soon as possible for that point because it wasnt too good, so basically it would mean it cant start up windows properly due to the HDD not working correctly and of it jamming or going out of frame, which causes the problems with Windows, if im right.

For you to imagine the sound, imagine when your CD Rom is jamming, same sound, only as we know its HDD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, well, the HDD aint actually a problem, as its only 16 GB big and only for System.

But still the problem is a bit more catchy, i mean, yeah, as we looked at it, we wanted to get rid of that HDD as soon as possible for that point because it wasnt too good, so basically it would mean it cant start up windows properly due to the HDD not working correctly and of it jamming or going out of frame, which causes the problems with Windows, if im right.

For you to imagine the sound, imagine when your CD Rom is jamming, same sound, only as we know its HDD.

Based on that description, you can be sure the HDD is a problem.

Reactions: BWS

BWS

Reaction score
Well, thanks for the help, ill be sure to handle the HDD in old fashioned ways as its quite unusable until it comes down to baseball (just kidding, maybe).

So basically, i have another 400 GB HDD and another 1 TB HDD and another 120 GB HDD which actually made me a bit worried because one of the files causing the Freezes in safe mode were on the secondary 400 GB HDD drive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
one of the files causing the Freezes
What file? On your bad HD that file may be corrupted yet it may be fine on the 400.

16GB is the absolute minimum for W7 32-bit, 20GB for 64-bit. Why not move everything off the 120 (or the 400) and do a fresh OS install w/ format there.

If you look at this video you can see why the sounds from a harddrive would seem to come from one end. Also some hard-drives have heatsinks on the bottom side to dissipate heat but I suppose they could also help muffle sound...
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]9eMWG3fwiEU[/MEDIA]"]YouTube- Inside of Hard Drive[/ame]
I had a hard-drive jam in the center and no longer function. With it open I knocked the arm free and I was lucky enough to then recover the data before I threw it away. Your 16GB is likely close to that or to a head crash, which is where the arm makes physical contact with the platter and scratches it. This may have already happened corrupting some of your files.

BWS

Reaction score
As i saw, the files are actually not the problem, when i go in my main folder on D:/Downloads and i try to select them all by moving across them all with the mouse, it freezes then, im sure its a fault of HDD but i still cannot understand why it makes it freeze when trying to select the files on D:/ drive, which as much as i understand makes C:/ drive to start freezing again..

Sadly but i cannot hear anything as i am in Safe mode right now and the sound card is integrated, but i could check the video on another PC, thanks for the link though

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was referring to the jamming sound from your harddrive, not actual sound from your sound card.

You should move any files you still need off this HD and get it out of your computer.

Isn't much point in speculating what to do next until the biggest threat is eliminated.

BWS

Reaction score
Nah, there aint nothing useful on the 16 GB HDD, nothing on the 400 GB HDD as well, all the valuable stuff is on 1 TB HDD and 120 GB HDD which both were removed from PC for safety being

Reaction score
I have something related that is a problem

When my (windows 7) laptop froze i shut it down right away, then i restarted it again and i logged on everything was like totally like blank nothing would appear i couldnt use it. there was no internet T_T. then i shut it down again, tried to logg back on. it loads for a bit then it goes like
your user service service has failed to logon
your user profile cannot be loaded

I was jsut wondering if someone can help me with this issue. This happened just a day ago and its still the samee

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TW, When you boot up start hitting the F4 key and hopefully you will get a boot menu - try "Last Known Good Configuration".

If that fails you could try the System Restore Disk. This is not the same as the install DVD. The system tells you to create a Restore Disk the first time W7 was powered up. It will restore broken system files.

It is also possible your freeze was because there was a hardware failure of some kind. This is a worst-case scenario and hopefully not your issue. If your harddrive crashed or memory went bad then that will need replaced.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree with Trainable man - a restore might help.

But this looks like a failing hard drive as well... Also, try runing memtest86 to check your RAM.
http://www.memtest.org/

By the way, Trainableman, it's always been F8 for me, on all computers... :dontknow:

Reaction score
i figured a way of fixing it
when u restart ur laptop / comp keep pressing f8 till u get to a menu
if it says restore your computer click it
and restore your system . it worked on my laptop and i just got it like 3 months ago. so you can try

Reaction score
lol yeaa
ive been doing it and searching ways until i found a use ful site that gave me the idea of pressing f8 and other stuff that didnt make sense.
so i did it my way and just pressed that. it gave me options saying something like fix your computer, i forgot though something like that and other stuff
so i pressed restore files. i pressed that and restored the files it was simple lool and i tried logging on again crossing my fingers and boom i come back and there i logged onto my own user profile and nothing was deleted :D

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually, that's not so good news. What you die was to restore the default system files onto your computer.

But that also means that something made them corrupt in the first place. This is most probably a failing hard drive.
Try running chkdsk in the command prompt:
chkdsk /f /r

Ask a Question