SOLVED Windows 7 Freezing After Login

Reaction score
I have a Toshiba Satellite (L675D-S7046), Win7 Home Prem 64-bit, 4Gb RAM and 320 Gb SATA HD. Windows completely freezes after the system has been up for 10 - 15 minutes. I have no mouse or keyboard control. This is a friends laptop and I'm not sure what he might have recently done or installed. It boots and works fine in safe mode.

I went into msconfig and disabled all start-up programs, but it still freezes up. I also uninstalled recently loaded software, including Adobe Flash Player update, Google Toolbar for IE, and Shop at Home Toolbar. I ran MalwareBytes in safe mode (quick and full) but it did not find anything. I also ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool but not sure where to find the report.

Any suggestions to track down the problem of Windows freezing??

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Can you check the temp of the machine with coretemp and report back with them..Also can you run sfc /scannow from a command prompt with admin rights.

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response. Ran coretemp with the following results:
Tj Max = 115C
CPU = 52C Low=50C High=54C

Tried to run the sfc /scannow command but the system froze after 35% completion. I'm running it again in safe mode and will post the results ASAP.

Thanks

Reaction score
Unable to run sfc /scannow. Windows keeps freezing, even in safe mode. It completes the validation at 100%, but that's when the system freezes. The cursor was blinking in the command window for about 3 minutes, but no mouse or keyboard control. Then it froze after 3 minutes or so. The last reboot in normal mode the system froze after 5 minutes.

Where do I go from here??

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Unable to run sfc /scannow. Windows keeps freezing, even in safe mode. It completes the validation at 100%, but that's when the system freezes. The cursor was blinking in the command window for about 3 minutes, but no mouse or keyboard control. Then it froze after 3 minutes or so. The last reboot in normal mode the system froze after 5 minutes.

Where do I go from here??
Windows diagnostic memory tool doesnt stress the ram enough but before you run memtest take a look in the event viewer to see if there is anything listed regarding the problem

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Go to the windows log>application tab.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

If nothing in event viewer run these two tests.

1. Run memtest.

In order to check your ram memory we going need to do a test, Please download an burn one of the following iso's on an disk.
Memtest86

When you burned the iso on an disk, please turn off your computer and put the cd in your computer. After a while you will see a black screen saying "Press any key to...". Press any key.

Now let the test run for 5-6 passes. Every time the program returns an error the memory is corrupted / bad or defect or the motherboard is bad / defect. If this occurs then please test every single ram stick individually. When you find a good one wich returns no errors then please test it in every single slot your computer has.

If you get no errors on all slots at all, then continue to step 2 of this post.

Step 2, Run the windows driver verifier.
Please read the following instructions carefully and execute them like i said.

First make an backup of your important data on your computer, and check if you have an second computer to contact us if the driver verifier goes wrong.

Then make an system restore point, You can do this by:

Open the Start menu

Open the Programs menu

Open the Accessories menu

Open the System Tools menu

Finally, start System Restore

Pick the option for setting a System Restore Point and click on the Next button

Fill in a name for the restore point so you can find it and click on the Create button

Click on the Close button when done

After you done all that please continue with the following steps. Please read them carefully

Click on your Start button (Windows Orb) and typ "verifier" and hit enter
Select the option: "Create Custom Settings ..." and click Next.
Select the option: "Select Individual settings from full list" and click Next.
Select all options except for the option "Low Resource Simulation" and click Next
Select the option: "Select driver names from a list" and click on Next
Then select all drivers EXCEPT for the drivers provided by Microsoft and click next
Then click on finish.

After doing all this reboot your system and wait for it to go to bluescreen, after the BSOD continue to use your computer normally. If you know what causes the BSOD then repeat doing this. if your system doesnt crash then let it run for atleast 48 hours.

It is normal that your system crashes here, This is because windows is stressing out all Drivers on your system to be able to test them.

Please post back to us what the problem is, memory or drivers. So we can assist you futher. It would be helpfull to know what drivers it are. Most of the time windows reports this.

Reaction score
Hi,

Try to boot in safe mode and verify if the computer works fine without freezing. To boot to the desktop in safe mode keep tapping F8 key during restart. Once you see the option to boot in safe mode select it and press enter.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

If the computer works fine in safe mode, you try to put the computer in clean boot state to make sure that third party applications are not causing this issue with computer performance.

To perform a clean boot, follow the steps below:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check if it works normally.

Reaction score
ZigZag3143 -

Thank you for replying to my post.

I followed your directions and here are the results:
1. MemTest86 found no errors. Memory passed all tests.
2. The problem seems to be a driver. I get a BSOD several times after rebooting. At the top of the screen it say "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" I don't have any other information from the BSOD.

Once the desktop comes up, Windows is still freezing after about 3 or 5 minutes.

Can you help me correct this problem? Thanks in advance.

Michael

Reaction score
michelsmith,

Thank you for your reply. I followed all your suggestions, but the system is still freezing in normal mode about 3 to 5 minutes after login. It still runs without freezing in safe mode. See my other post regarding the driver verifier results. It seems to be a driver issue but not sure how to track it down or, more importantly, fix it.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Michael

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Im sorry but I dont see anything about driver verifier being run. It should ID the driver that is causing the grief.

EDIT

You can also go into event viewer to see if there is any critical errors logged about the freezing problem.

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Event viewer (local) and look for the critical errors listed in the last day, week, etc. Then go to the windows log>application tab. Finally the windows Logs>system tabs.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I DID run the "verifier" as you described but it did not report any bad drivers. I assumed that the IRQ error on the BSOD was related to a driver because I got that error after running verifier and restarting.

I just looked at the event viewer and I found a critical error: Kernel-Power ID=41. Not sure if this could be causing the problem or not. Other than that, I'm not getting any other errors showing in Windows about a driver problem.

What should I do next??

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I DID run the "verifier" as you described but it did not report any bad drivers. I assumed that the IRQ error on the BSOD was related to a driver because I got that error after running verifier and restarting.

I just looked at the event viewer and I found a critical error: Kernel-Power ID=41. Not sure if this could be causing the problem or not. Other than that, I'm not getting any other errors showing in Windows about a driver problem.

What should I do next??
Verifier may need to run for 36 or more hours. Sooner or later it will find the driver, though it doesnt always. If your computer crashed while verifier was on I will know it in the DMP. Please upload it.

Kernal-power event 41 is just an unusual shutdown, but again I can tell more from the DMP

Reaction score
Thank you for everyone's help on this issue. My friend needed his computer back so I decided to do a factory recovery to get it back up and running. I backed up all the data prior to doing any troubleshooting.

Thank you again for all the suggestions. We'll get 'em next time.

Thoughtfully,

Michael

Ask a Question