Windows 7 Experience Index

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some questions in regards of the Windows 7 Experience Index.
Currently my system subscore is 5.2.

Processor : 7.1
Memory : 7.3
Graphics : 5.2
Gaming Graphic : 5.5
Hard Disk : 5.9

I'm using Alienware M15x, Windows Home Premium 64-bit, 8GB Ram, nVidia GTX 260M.
I remembered my Graphic and Gaming Graphic subscore used to be around 6.2. Why do I suddenly get a much lower subscore considering I did not make any changes to my system ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your score will update to reflect how your hardware compares to the most current hardware supported by that driver.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as WEI is just a rough guide. when i updated to the latest graphics driver i lost 2 points. (4.7) to (4.5)

Reaction score
My hard drives the weak link

My hard drives are the weak link. They get a 5.9. Everything else get's 7.4 and 7.5. Too bad decent sized SSD's aren't under $125 like sata drives are.
Your score will update to reflect how your hardware compares to the most current hardware supported by that driver.

I wouldn't worry too much about it as WEI is just a rough guide. when i updated to the latest graphics driver i lost 2 points. (4.7) to (4.5)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Too many users get hung up over the WEI scores and ratings.

They're merely, in my opinion, artificial benchmarks from Microsoft to rate a system.

ALL hard drives will always get a 5.9 rating, regardless.

Moving up to an SSD will help the score out. But in the end, it's just a matter of "braggin' rights".

Reaction score
Too many users get hung up over the WEI scores and ratings.

They're merely, in my opinion, artificial benchmarks from Microsoft to rate a system.

Moving up to an SSD will help the score out. But in the end, it's just a matter of "braggin' rights".

Exactly! :D

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It certainly has helped the retailers though. It is quite easily faked and can give a wonderful impression to an unknowledgable purchaser

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Too true. I mean - my netbook only has a mere 2.2 subscore, yet it's super fast! And in my case, my HD is my strong point :D

Reaction score
windows experience index is actually designed as a kinda tool for Microsoft to obtain valuable data about any hardware that Windows is run, and has likely caused more than a few unnecessary hardware upgrades i would think :(

Reaction score
The one I don't get is...

The one I really don't get is why Microsoft can't just make the ratings from 1.0 - 10.0. In Vista it went up to 5.9 and in 7 it goes to 7.9. That really doesn't make any sense what so ever. Maybe, but doubtful, they'll get it right in 8 or what-ever they name the next Windows version. Just like Windows 7 isn't the 7th version of Windows.
It certainly has helped the retailers though. It is quite easily faked and can give a wonderful impression to an unknowledgable purchaser

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
My hdd rating is 7.6, and it's the highest of the individual ratings on my system. I don't know why... Seems very random how they come up with these numbers.

Reaction score
lol I have 7.1 for both video tests on an AGP card....haha but overall, I'm 4.4 rating.

Reaction score
I am;
4.5 wei

top 2 were lower than that about 6 months ago, i dont go by the WEI anyway. dont believe its accurate

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mines the only thing under 7.4

Mines the only thing under 7.4'
My hdd rating is 7.6, and it's the highest of the individual ratings on my system. I don't know why... Seems very random how they come up with these numbers.

Attachments

Reaction score
For what it's worth here is mine.

Processor - 7.4
Memory - 7.4
Graphics - 7.1
Gaming Graphic - 7.1
Hard Disk - 5.9

Windows Experience Index - 5.9

Ask a Question