My overall Windows Experience Index is really low, but it doesnt make sense:

Overall Score just 3.7

Processor: 7.5
Ram: 7.5
Graphics 3.7
Gaming Graphics 5.8
Primary Hard Disk: 7.3

My Video Card is an ATI Radeon 1Gb HD 5400
I have just downloaded and updated the latest video card drivers, and it makes no difference to the score, I also went in to the visual settings and adjusted all for the best peformance, and that made no difference to the score either. Why do I have such a low score for graphics? My video card isnt that bad is it? It was added as part of a custom built system for web design and video editing and SEO software, so the system has a solid state hard drive, 12 Gb of DDR3 ram and should be really quick, and run very quiet...

What can I do to improve performance other than ripping out the video card and adding another one?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Windows takes your lowest score and that's your rating. You and I both know you have a screamer there.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.:)

Reaction score
I realised that it bases the rating on your lowest score, but I specifically requested a fast system suitable for fast heavy video loads, and it seems like ive been built a system with sub standard graphics.

Is there anything obvious I can do to improve it, or do I have to go out and replace the video card, if so any recomendations for a top performing but silent video card?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That WEI score is NOT something you should base your impression of your computer's performance on. I wish Microsoft never created that index because it gives the wrong impression and often, the numbers make folks think they have wrong when there is nothing wrong - a reverse placebo affect.

I agree with yodap - don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Hi DesignsOnline

Other than the WEI scores, are there any reasons why your current graphics will not work for you?

What exactly are you looking to achieve? Is it better WEI scores or better performance? If you need better performance than that card will achieve, can you tell us what it is that you are needing better graphics for?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What can I do to improve performance other than ripping out the video card and adding another one?
As Yodap and Digerati stated... don't worry about those false misleading WEI ratings.

It's unusual that you put in a neutered Radeon graphics card though considering that every other piece of hardware in your system is top-notch!

The Radeon 5400 series is the lowest 5000 series card made, with only 80 stream processing units. My old Radeon HD3850 has better specs and gives a WEI score of 6.9 on both Aero Graphics and Gaming Graphics. It also has 320 stream processing units.

So you can see that Radeon severely neutered this GPU, basically it was meant for the entry-level market segment for folks who wanted DirectX 11 capability without all the buzzers, bells and whistles. The most expensive price I can find for a HD 5450 is about $69 now at Newegg.

If you want to kick up your score, if that REALLY matters to you then get the HD 5770 for around $140 at Newegg. $124.99 after rebate.

This is the card I currently use:
XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

I get WEI scores of 7.4 using it. It has 800 stream processing units, 10 times more than you have currently with your present card.

Whatever you decide is your decision however. For basically twice the money you can get a Radeon that is much better that your current video card.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I don't worry with the WEI, because it's an unfair way to "score" your computer's performance. Just imagine, if when we went to school, if our lowest grade (mine was in math) was our final grade, most of us would never live to graduate.

They should have averaged it between the five scores, but I guess that was too simple for M$ to see.

As far as your video card goes, Nibiru is right, this card came up in a recent discussion, and is not the best effort of Radeon. Your best bet is to install the one that he suggested. That system has to be expensive, 12GB DDR3 RAM costs a fortune, another $125 won't hurt at all, and help you realize your computer's potential, which has to be excellent. More so than many of the ones listed on this forum.

Then, your overall "score" ought to be over 7.0, not to mention that you'll be able to do what you want with it.

Good Luck,
Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
They should have averaged it between the five scores, but I guess that was too simple for M$ to see.
An average would not be any good either because then each category would hold the same weight. For example, HD performance would count as much as the CPU. I think they should not have an over all "base" score at all and should just stick with the individual scores.

To MS's credit, they make it clear the base score is determined by the lowest subscore.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The OP should clarify which graphics card he actually has. He refers to two different models in the original post and his computer specs.

I'm thinking the 5450 also but....?

Edit: I agree with Digerati on the whole WEI concept.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The OP should clarify which graphics card he actually has. He refers to two different models in the original post and his computer specs.

I'm thinking the 5450 also but....?

Edit: I agree with Digerati on the whole WEI concept.
I think he did a number transposition in his computer specs. Radeon's lowest model is the HD5450 series, then goes up from there; 5550, 5570, 5670, 5750, 5770, 5830. 5850, 5870, 5870 Eyefinity 6, and finally the 5970.

Where did he go? I hope this isn't another "hit & run".

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Where did he go? I hope this isn't another "hit & run".
It's only been a day. People have other commitments. Give him a few days.

Reaction score
Sorry Guys, I run a web design company and a search engine optimisation company and dont get a lot of spare time.

Ok I had the computer built for me by a private company. It was supposed to all be top spec, but I think I have been ripped off a little over the video card.

I have gone in to the device manager, and checked it out, it is comming up as an ATI Radeon HD 4500 Series 1 Gb card

I do a lot of graphical editing and some video editing and requested a high spec card to be able to run Adobe Premiere for Video editing and splitting the screen between 2 or more monitors.

Does that answer your questions?

Reaction score
I obviously got my numbers round the wrong way in the first place.
(I put 5400 when it was 4500) is that an even worse card than you thought?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I guess the question is, how long ago did you have the machine built. If it was recently, like 30-90 days then I think you should definitely tell them you were shorted in the video card. That type thing unfortunately happens a lot; they have an old card lying around so they throw it in to cut their costs. Even if they gave you $20-$40 for returning the card it's still better than keeping it in a drawer somewhere.

Ask a Question