Windows 7 error on WD 750GB hard drive

Reaction score
Hello!

This one should twist your head a bit if you’re anything like me!

I have a Pavilion M6 1045DX laptop and the HD crashed. It was 750GB so off to eBay I went to buy another one. I decided to buy a NEW SEALED HD so I bought a blue label WD brand new. (March 2014) Just for grins I wiped and verified the drive and it passed. I temporarily installed a 40GB hard drive to build the machine while I was waiting for the new drive figuring I would just clone it when it arrived. When I went to clone the test drive to the new drive I received an error about block sizes. I use the Apricorn DriveWire and have seen this on a rare occasion. I thought maybe a different cloning software would help but to no avail. Same error. Rather than fight with it I decide to put the new 750 drive in the laptop and build it all over again. This is when I received this error.

“Windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware”

So, I grabbed another blue label 160GB WD drive and it installed Win 7 fine on the laptop. I then took the 750GB drive and installed in on an old IBM T61 and it too installed fine. I also installed the new 750GB drive on a Dell Inspiron N5040 laptop with complete success. Things that make you say...hmmmmmm?

Anyone have any ideas why the new 750GB WD drive gives me this error on "only" the HP Pavilion M6?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!

BTW...this laptop doesn’t have RAID and was NOT Built for windows 8. It came with Windows 7. And yes I’ve reset the bios back to factor standards!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft KB2466753. It likely has to do with the Intel architecture on that computer and the large hard drive sector size.

The easiest solution is probably just to use Windows 7 SP-1(U) Media Refresh rather than older Windows 7 Installation without Service Pack 1. You can download and burn Win7 SP-1(U) using the links HERE.

Reaction score
SOLUTION IS...
Please see if this works for you...

Download the drivers from this link below (first or second file listed -- 32 or 64 bit as applicable).

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+Rapi...

Extract the files onto a usb flash drive without any folders.

With the flash drive and W7 installation media plugged into the machine, boot from the W7 installation media.

After you select the install now option, select the Drive Options - Advanced menu, then select the Load Driver option.

You should now see the storage driver files listed.

If you check the box, it will only include the compatible driver.

Follow the prompts and hopefully, W7 should install.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to the KB info it isn't an issue with SP1-U and why would you want to wait for 2 years worth of updates after you install W7 w/o SP1, may as well do SP1-U instead.

Ask a Question