Windows 7 boot.ini file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am trying to edit my boot menu and I found I need to change the boot.ini file to get it working.

The problem is I can't find it anywhere. I have show hidden files enabled but nothing appears in the root c:

Do I create my own boot.ini?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What is it you are trying to edit the boot.ini for? It's not always as simple as changing lines as you need to make sure your boot sectors are correct too.

Download EasyBCD if you need to make some modifications as it's a way to change boot settings graphically (much easier!):

http://neosmart.net/thankyou.php?app=EasyBCD

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is no Boot.ini in Windows 7. It is now the boot manager. Follow the suggestion above.

Reaction score
The boot.ini may be gone from Windows 7, but msconfig is still there and allows you to modify the Windows 7 boot options. So give it a try before you introduce a boot manager, it's a kis moment. Why only one 's'? Because if you're smart enough to ask a question, you're not stupid.

Cheers

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums,Tdit-

The thread to which you have posted is two years old. The op has probably solved the problem.
But, fwiw. Bcdedit reveals several more, and better options, than Msconfig - it is simple also. (Well, I think so) But it would have depended onwhat exactly the OP wished to change, That was never revealed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question