windows 7 blue screening/freezing

Reaction score
As the title says. I just recently installed windows 7 build 7100 64 bit on this computer and from time to time it'll freeze up or crash all together. Earlier this morning I even got the blue screen of death stating that there was an issue that then closed down.

I have it fully installed on this computer and was just trying this as a last resort before I go back to reinstalling vista on the machine.

my computer is
intel 2 quad core 2.83 ghz,
8 gigs of ram
256 mb fireGL
Gigabyte motherboard

Reaction score
Hi Jacket - Welcome to the site :ciao:

Windows 7 Build 7100 is quiet old. There is a very good chance these issues have been resolved in a newer build. I hate to say this but not many people are willing to help with an old build without recommending you upgrade to a newer one. A couple more months and Windows 7 will be on the store shelves.

I can't get into details but you can find a newer build that has leaked to the public. The latest builld is 7600 which is now confirmed to be the RTM (Release To Manufacturer).

Reaction score
Ah I see. I wasn't aware of how old the build was. I downloaded it while I was waiting for my new computer to come in to try it out.

Thanks for the information though. I apologize for the irrelevant question then.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information though. I apologize for the irrelevant question then.
If you want to try to get your computer working(until you get a hold of something newer:)), check to see if you have your network interface card set to NOT power off. By default it is set to power down to save power, but if you're running a desktop computer there is no real need to save power(unless you're trying to save the planet single-handedly). It can go to sleep and cause what you are experiencing. So can other things like driver issues, but I'd start here.

Control Panel-->Network & Sharing Centre-->Change adapter settings, and go into the properties, then configure. Power Management tab.

One thing you could do to help diagnose what the problem is, is to turn off auto reboot after a BSOD, that way you can see what the error is right then, or go into the "Event Viewer" and see what it has to say.

Welcome to the forum, :)ciao:) where there is no such thing as an irrelevant question.

Last edited:

Ask a Question