SOLVED Windows 7 Blue Screen

Reaction score
According to Norton Security System Support, I had neglected to upgrade my system from V5 to V6. Allegedly, V5 would no longer download all of the latest virus database info. This caused error 3047,53 that wiped out NSS V5, and several of my setting all of which had to be restored. I have now downloaded and installed NSS V6 and my computer is working okay except that it does not complete the boot process to the desktop - I get the Windows 7 logo and the Welcome screen with the stems and leaves, then it goes to a blank blue screen. I was able to launch the Task Manager that allowed me to enter explorer.exe to finish the boot to the Windows 7 musical chord and my desktop. The computer then works normally. This is bothersome to have to do at each boot and I am asking for advice on how to put explorer.exe in the correct location to cause a full boot to the desktop. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Reaction score
I hope so, Sleepy. Every morning when I turn on my computer, I get the same blue screen. I am so happy to be able to launch the Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and use New Task to enter explorer.exe. This launches to my full desktop and all is okay for the rest of the day. I tried to get some help from Microsoft but they shot me down by saying that my Windows User ID had expired. That's crazy. My Windows 7 is a paid and registered copy that I installed on this home-built computer 2 years ago. Hmmm. Is this a case of planned obsolescence? :dontknow:

Shintaro

Reaction score
A couple of things I would try:

Offline virus scan. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

See how that goes, then run sfc /scannow
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

You may have to eventually run a Repair/install: https://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

Something to remember when you Norton subscription ends Microsoft has Anti-virus that is free.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Couple that with Safe Computing Practise (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Understanding-security-and-safe-computing).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Shintaro, Thank you for you advice and for including links. I will do all of them tomorrow and let you know the results. Noah

Reaction score
Windows Repair

Using Windows 7 Home Premium - 64 bit. Trouble with Norton Security Suite caused several of my startup programs including NSS to be wiped out. I have replaced my programs but I'm booting to a Blue Screen. I then launch Task Manager and enter at New Task, explorer.exe, and the boot completes to the desktop. I can't find a way to cause explorer.exe to automatically boot. I next thought of Windows Repair Install but my disks are 2,000 miles away. Is there any other method to do a repair installation without the original disks OR simply put explorer in the correct place to automatically boot.

MOD NOTE: This was posted in another thread but has been merged with the OPs open thread, so it may now seem somewhat out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Shintaro,.... Windows defender did not find any problems. Earlier I had installed Norton Security Suite V-6, and it also did not find any problems. Next, I ran sfc/scannow and it reported, "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violation. I can't do a Windows Repair Installation because I am on assignment 2,000 miles from home and my original install installation disks. Is there any way to do a repair installation without the disks? If I can learn where explorer.exe resides, perhaps I can copy it to the windows startup folder.?>? Currently, I am still booting to Blue Screen. The Task Manager's New Task allows me to enter explorer.exe and the computer then completes the boot to my desktop. It would be nice to do this automatically. I also spent hours online with Norton support. They concluded that Norton Security Suite V-6 is properly operating and will not take responsibility for this anomaly caused by the failing V-5. Since I am a Comcast Cable subscriber, as part of their service, they provide Norton Security Suite without further charge.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry, you would be missing your Windows Shell.
Go to the following in the registry editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
In Winlogon, on the right side, there should be a value called "Shell".
Double click this value. Make sure only 'Explorer.exe' is the value of Shell, if anything else is there , simply delete it and leave 'Explorer.exe' .
Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

EDIT: Added pic.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you're having so many issues here. In my humble opinion it's due to Norton Security Suite. It has in the past been the culprit of many problems in the Windows environment.

Just because ComCast offers Norton does not mean that you should feel you have to use it.

See if you can get your repair disks shipped by FedEx to you, that might help.

Reaction score
I always run Auslogics to make sure that my system is running smoothly. Just got to be careful to tweak those areas that either don't need maintenance or if you don't know what you're doing.

I must add: Norton has been a "rollercoaster" of a program and I can't trust such an unstable software that acts more like a virus than an antivirus.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Download and burn the W7 Home Prem 64-bit DVD. Depending on your connection it may take as long as 6 hours but faster than going 2K miles. Then run the repair from the new DVD you burned. W7 SP1

Prometheus, I'm not a big fan of Norton either but changing A/Vs at this point won't actually fix his start-up problems; however, it may be something to consider when his subscription expires.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Shintaro, As you suggested, I have navigated via Regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. On the right side, as shown in quotes here, there is only under Name, a small icon with red letters " a b (default)," under Type, "REG_SZ," under Data, "(value not set)". I was tempted to delete that, then add "Shell" and explorer.exe under that, but not without further discussion. How would you suggest I proceed?

Nibiru & Promethius, I have come to a very similar conclusion regarding Norton Security Suite, particularly since Norton Support bailed out in this instance. Thank you, all, for your continued dialogue. It is sincerely appreciated.
Noah.

Reaction score
TrainableMan, Thank you for the link to download W-7. I will go there after Shintaro's response.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I don't know if that is Norton's, because I have not used Norton's for many years, but it could also be the remnants of a virus.
So I would create a restore point, then add the "Shell" REG_SZ with explorer.exe as the value.

If that gets your PC working, I would suggest that you then leave it until you return from your trip. (You said that the disks are 2k miles away, so I presumed you are away on a trip)

If you could provide a screen shot that would be helpful as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Since there was nothing under Shell, I added explorer.exe. A reboot had the same result so I again launched the Task Manager > New Task to type explorer.exe to complete the boot to my desktop. Otherwise, the computer then works okay. My Windows 7 installation disk has been mailed to me. Upon arrival I will try a Repair Installation. I have included here a screen shot of the registry > > shell. Thank you for your input. I will let you know how I fare with the Repair Installation. Note that this shot was taken after I added explorer.exe to Shell that was prior empty.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Change your Userinit from"," to c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

**Notice the comma on the end.

Reaction score
WOW! :D That did it. Adding the userinit line you provided now caused my computer to completely boot to the desktop. Thank you very much for your perseverance and guidance. AND, thanks to the originators of this forum that allowed / enabled our communication. I will now see how to mark this issue RESOLVED. My best wishes for your health, happiness, and prosperity. Noah.

Ask a Question