Windows 7 Beta now available

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's the news we've all been waiting for... Windows 7 Beta is going to be available to everyone from 9th January. There are 2.5 Million downloads available, so be sure to check in early! If you have MSDN access, you download it right now!

Visit this link to register for your serial number and download the ISO file directly from 9th Jan 2009.

Please let us know what you think of the Beta by posting in our forums - you'll need to register (for free) here to do so. It's a great place for getting help with your Windows 7 installation.

You don't need to install over the top of Vista/XP or Dual boot, you can run it within your existing Windows Installation by following this article. This is a great way to test the new OS without much hassle.

As of today, I am running the Windows 7 Beta on several different PCs including my laptop, my work PC, and my PC at home, which I upgraded recently to Windows 7 from Windows Vista SP1. (I’ll be outlining the PCs I’m using to test Windows 7 shortly.) I’m all connected with HomeGroup, I’ve got several different Libraries set up, and I’m loving the new Windows Taskbar. I’ve got Windows Media Center recording my favorite TV shows and my Zune 80 syncing up with the Zune software. And things are even better with Windows Live Essentials installed. I find the Windows 7 Beta to be an amazing beta release and I am extremely excited for you to get your hands on it later this week! I’d like to take a moment to share some specifics regarding the Windows 7 Beta that I think are very important for people looking to give Windows 7 a spin.

On January 9th, the Windows 7 Beta will be available for Windows enthusiasts to download via the Windows 7 page on Windows.com. The Windows 7 Beta is going to be available download-only (we’re not sending out physical media) and available for a limited time to the first 2.5 million people who download the beta.

The Windows 7 Beta will be available in English, German, Japanese, Arabic, and Hindi, and each language will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions (except Hindi which will only be available in 32-bit). Because the Windows 7 Beta will be offered download-only, it will be provided to you as an ISO image (an .iso file) that you download. After downloading either the 32-bit or 64-bit ISO image of the Windows 7 Beta, you will be required to burn the ISO image to a DVD to install Windows 7. So you want to be sure you have a DVD burner before spending the time downloading the ISO image
Source : Windows Team

Reaction score
Registration Link?

I've registered on your site and then clicked the "this link" below where it takes you to windows site. Where do you register? What do you click on to go through the registration process to get this?

Brad

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've registered on your site and then clicked the "this link" below where it takes you to windows site. Where do you register? What do you click on to go through the registration process to get this?

Brad
Hi Brad, the link should become active sometime on the 9th Jan (tomorrow) - the Microsoft blog says the download will become visible on that page. :)

Reaction score
Windows 7 - Themes said:
With Windows 7, you start with a clean desktop and get to decide how it looks. We provide the templates, or themes, and you can choose the color or format, including whether you'd like to enjoy a slideshow for your desktop background.
FINALLY.

Slideshow's for backgrounds.

DEFINATELY getting it tomorrow. :)

Reaction score
where is the place to register for the serial number? I went to the link and couldnt see it. Thanks
Spafa9

Visit this link to register for your serial number and download the ISO file directly from 9th Jan 2009.

Reaction score
I see your reply above I missed it stating that it would be available tomorrow. Thanks

Reaction score
I Can't wait... This is the first time I have actually looked forward to using a new Windows OS

Reaction score
I see your reply above I missed it stating that it would be available tomorrow. Thanks
At what time is the link going to be available? It is 12:30 AM and I am on Eastern Time Zone. Still dont see the link.

Reaction score
How does using the beta effect obtaining the full release or does it at all?

12:30am Pacific and still no link there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How does using the beta effect obtaining the full release or does it at all?

12:30am Pacific and still no link there.
It could be that they are waiting till later on in the day so that a wider spread of users have a chance to download it. I'd check back every couple of hours until you see the link, as I expect it will be very popular.

edit: I see the Windows 7 link now says the afternoon of the 9th Jan:

Over the past few years, you've asked us to make some changes to Windows. We listened closely. Now it's time to share an early look at how we've used your feedback. Windows 7 is faster, more reliable, and makes it easier to do what you want. Both the everyday things and the killer "is that really possible?" things. Dig into this site to see what's coming. Want to try the Beta? Come back the afternoon of January 9. And remember—this is just a preview. There's more to come.

mjk

Reaction score
Well, it's 6:35AM EST here and nothing - Even their blog server is maxxed out, so it's probably going to be an interesting day trying to download a ISO of a DVD....

I think I'll just stick with Linux & KDE.

ash

Reaction score
Windows 7 Download

Ian, is the download only available vis MSDN? It is the 9th, but I don't see the download available on the Windows 7 page?

Thanks

Ash

ash

Reaction score
Windows 7

hAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO DOWNLOAD THE OS YET?

Reaction score
Ian, is the download only available vis MSDN? It is the 9th, but I don't see the download available on the Windows 7 page?

Thanks

Ash
Yes, download was available on 1-8-09 but key wasnt available until 1-9-09. I got my Window 7 beta ISO and Key via MSDN on 1-9-09 at 12:45AM EST.

Reaction score
I've never tried a beta Windows before. Does MS historically give discounts to beta Windows users when it comes time to getting the full release?

kli

Reaction score
Yes, download was available on 1-8-09 but key wasnt available until 1-9-09. I got my Window 7 beta ISO and Key via MSDN on 1-9-09 at 12:45AM EST.
Where's the download link and the registration page?

Ask a Question