Windows 7 Official Beta-testers to get free copy of Windows 7 Ultimate

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Members of the official technical beta program for Windows 7 are now going to receive a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for free. This is a change from the post last week stating that beta testers won't get a free copy. Please be aware that this won't apply to most people that downloaded the Windows 7 Beta, only those on the technical beta program:

Last week, I blogged that members of the Windows Technical Beta Program would not be receiving a complimentary copy of Windows 7. Normally I hate to be wrong but in this case, I’m stoked that I am.

To show our appreciation, members of the invitation-only Windows 7 Technical Beta Program will be eligible for a free, final copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. For more information on how to take advantage of this, refer to Paul’s post in the .Beta_Program newsgroup for details.
Read more here:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/wi...ing-our-thanks-to-windows-7-beta-testers.aspx

The newsgroup post states the following:

All current members of our English technical and international mini-beta programs are eligible.
  • We are offering you a full (non-upgrade) copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition for your own personal use, not to be resold.
  • You will be able to get access to your copy one of two ways:
A) To get up and running quickly you will be able to download your copy and get your product key via Microsoft Connect. English downloads will be available August 6th and other languages will follow as they become available.
B) Members of our English beta program have an alternative. We have reserved a limited amount of boxed retail copies that you can choose to receive instead. These are ‘first come, first served’. If you opt to have us ship you the boxed copy you should be aware that it will take much longer until you will be up and running on the final version. We will need time to manufacture and ship the copies to you. This means that you may not receive them until they are available on shelves October 22nd or later. Also, for people outside the United States you may be required to pay duties or other local taxes upon receipt.
Instructions and forms for choosing one of the above options will be available on Microsoft Connect on Monday August 3rd.

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This was welcome news, to say the least. I have been a beta tester since Windows Me and we always received a free copy of the RTM for our efforts.
OTOH, this (Win7) was the worst beta I have been on; we testers received the same builds as the public did; no interim builds at all. Only a select few were so priviledged, it seems.

Reaction score
Does that mean every beta tester will get a free ultimate version

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Yes, every invited 'technical' beta tester will get a copy of Ultimate. Those of the 'uninvited' that downloaded the publicly available builds and provided feedback (or not), do not qualify for a free copy.
They are also providing a limited number of boxed retail copies by mail (instead of the download), but they will not be available until the general release date of Oct. 22.

Interestingly, the terms of the downlaod copy is that it is not to be resold. Sounds like it could be given away, as in a contest, perhaps? ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not on the beta tester scheme here so I don't get one, but I'll have a copy with my new PC so it's not the end of the world. It would have been nice if those that first reported a bug from Beta 1 and the RC got a copy though.

Interestingly, the terms of the downlaod copy is that it is not to be resold. Sounds like it could be given away, as in a contest, perhaps? ;)
I like the way you think!

Ask a Question