Windows 7 - Arranging Music Files


Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Windows 7 will not arrange all my music file titles by artist alphabetically. It does about two-thirds of them correctly. The other third is placed in a Unspecified Folder, when you go to arrange by folder. In the open view By Artist, the first two-thirds are correct and for some reason the last third are at the rear after the Z's, but in alphabetical order. I've trued everthing I know to get all the songs arranged by artist and nothing works and there is nothing on the Internet Searches that helped.
Please Help, if you can.
Thank You,
George Jurak
(e-mail address removed)
 
Ad

Advertisements

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Moderator
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
1,584
Please take a screen shot, save it as a jpg picture file, and using the "go advanced" button, attach it to show us.
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Arranging Music File

The file I have is very large and I cannot run the snipping tool past the screen limit. Can you tell me another way to do it??
Thank You,
George Jurak
(e-mail address removed)
 

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Moderator
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
1,584
Well I was thinking just position the screen at the Zs so we can see where it starts over. I was also hoping from the screenshot, to see what software you were using: is this list in Windows Explorer, in Windows Media Player. or Windows media center, or somewhere else?
 
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Arranging Music File

I press the Start button, then click on Music, then open My Music Folder. That folder contains about 300 songs and about 75% are arranged in alphabetical order by artist, but the other 25% (at the end of the file, after Z) starts again with the artist arranged alphabetically. Bear in mind that when I tell the program to arrange by Song, the program does what I have stated above. When I say arrange by Artist, then it puts all the same artist songs in a folder and arranges them alphabetically, except for the 25% songs, which it puts in a Unspecified folder. I Know...Very confusing.
I hope this answers your question and I appreciate your trying to help me with this,
George Jurak
(e-mail address removed)
 

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Moderator
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
1,584
OK, when you hit the Music option on the Start menu it opens Windows Explorer to your music library, so that answers my question there.

If I had to guess I would think there is perhaps a Control character stored at the front of the Artists name. Take one of the 25% in an unspecified folder and right-click on it and choose Properties. Go to the Details tab. And personally retype the Artists name. Then resort and see if there is any change.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Arranging Music Files

No, that did not do anything. I have a feeling that it may have something to do with album covers. When I change the view of the file, all of the first 75% songs have album covers associated with them. Whereas, the back of list 25% have no album cover associated with the songs. It must mean something and I am not sure what?/?/?
Hope this info helps.
Thank You, Again
George Jurak
(e-mail address removed)
 
Ad

Advertisements

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Moderator
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
9,331
Reaction score
1,584
Honestly, I don't see what the Album Art would have to do with it unless it was sorted by that column.

Music has different Tags associated with it and there is more than one style. To be honest I don't understand it all but the different style tags are "ID3v1, ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 and ID3v2.4". It's possible some of your music uses one style and the rest another or something like that.

What you might do is download a product like Tag & Rename for a 30-day trial. It lays out all the music fields of your songs in a grid and you can edit them. Maybe you can spot a difference. At the very least edit a field or two and then save just to have it write some info out and see if it effects the sort in Windows explorer at all.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top