Windows 7 and Tax Preparation Software

Reaction score
Running Windows 7 Professional.

I have been using H&R Block and TurboTax software (NOT the online versions) for several years to prepare my taxes. However, since the demise of Microsoft support for Windows 7, these programs will no longer work with this OS.

My preference is definitely not to switch to Windows 10, and I don't want to use the online versions to prpare my taxes.

Can you recommend a tax software program that will still work with Win 7?

Thank you.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft's stop of support doesn't suddenly make installed software stop working. It is up to the programmers of Turbotax to chose system requirements. What makes you say it won't work? What error messages are you getting?

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Turbotax requirements (confirmed by a phone call) says that Windows 8 and up are the required OS's for their 2020 tax year program. TT worked for my 2019 taxes, but probably won't even install on a Win 7 platform.

I switched to TT last year because HR Block requirements (also confirmed by a phone call) stated the same for the 2019 tax year program. However, HR Block did work for my 2018 taxes. HR Block tech support said that while their 2019 tax program would install on W7, they were experiencing unspecified problems with it, and couldn't vouch for its accuracy.

Obviously I'm not willing to shell out the money for one of these programs just to see if they'll work on W7.

Ask a Question