SOLVED Use Windows 7 Firewall in Windows XP.

Reaction score
Hello. I want to ask this: Because I like the GUI of Windows 7 Firewall I was wondering if I can either use my settings to Windows XP Firewall or if I can replace the Windows XP SP3 Pro 32bit Firewall with Windows 7 SP1 Pro 32bit firewall (With some tweaking of cource). If this can be done what are the files I should copy from my Windows 7 to Windows XP? I want to do this because I really like Windows XP and I don't want to use another version of windows, especially Windows 10 which in my humble opinion is the worst operating system Microsoft ever created, full of bloatware, very heavy for my pc and I haven't seen worst GUI. I honestly even prefer Windows 95 than this. It's like these people don't have any vision for the future or they want to destroy their income source on purpose. Anyhow, sorry for the long talk and I would be very greatful if someone knows how to do this. Thank you.

Reaction score
I am not sure about running Windows 7 programs in Windows XP, but I know there is that program that allows you to run programs as Windows Vista executables. You might be able to run the Windows Vista one if that is close enough to the 7 one for you. I even think Windows ME is better than Windows 10; It has a better GUI. You could consider upgrading to Windows 7 as it really is the last great Windows out there and there are still a lot of similarities to WIndows XP and you can even still get the classic theme and start menu (Not achievable in Win 10). Also, just curious, what are your specs?

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your answer. The perfect operating system for me would be windows 7 if it had an option to select these 5 things from windows xp: 1.) Folder view (especially thumbnail) like xp (I mean the folders have the same icons like xp: a, b and c) 2.)Filmstrip view in the bottom like xp: a and b 3.)Gif animation in the default photo viewer (microsoft) 4.)Documents and Settings 5.) A mix of windows 7 and windows xp start menu (list the programs). Since I can' t have this functionality, that's why I mostly use windows xp (in case anyone wonders). Now in the topic: What I want to do is block every incoming and outgoing internet traffic except my browsers. In windows 7 I did this very easy using the default firewall and that's why I thought I ask if I could use it in xp. But if I can do this using another lightweight firewall or even through group policy (someone in another forum mentioned it can happen) that would be great. In the meantime I would appreciate if someone knew a lighweight firewall or how to do it through group policy or with any other way possible. Thank you.
PS: Laptop: Windows 7, intel i5, 4gb ram Desktop: Windows XP, intel pentium, 4gb ram. I can't upgrade processor because motherboard is very old and I can't find a new one with Windows XP Drivers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you've considered Net Limiter, but it's a program that adds a sort of firewall function and it will alert you of all outgoing connections on your pc. Here's a link: https://www.netlimiter.com/ Also, most early i3/5/7 motherboards support XP and all core 2 series motherboards should support XP.

Reaction score
(edit: there was a reply it referred to but it was deleted.) 3.)Gif animation in the default photo viewer (microsoft)
That I can be of help. I found this.

Just in case you are not familiar with GitHub, you must click in 'Code' menu and then click in 'Download Zip'.

It will download a file named Windows7GifViewer-master, you must go for the .exe with the same name, excluding '-master'.

It will install the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer from WinXP for gifs but keeping the Win7 default for the other formats (by default at installation but you can choose the formats at the Setup in File Types tab).

It's a neat workaround.

Reaction score
I sincerely THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH for taking the time to answer me. I currently found a discontinued free firewall called Private Firewall and eventhough I am still trying it, I think it's just what I want. Simple interface, compatible with windows xp and it simply does the job. Netlimiter is a little difficult for me but still a great idea. As for gif animation the above link is not valid but in the meantime I found a program called IrfanView that is very nice and does what I want in windows 7 (I don't need it for windows xp). Closing I want to thank again all of you and ask from an administrator to consider this thread solved and lock it. Thank you.

Ask a Question