Windows 7 64x problems on Intel Server (Workstation)

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a huge problem with my Workstation and Windows 7 x64.
The problems dont show up in Windows XP x64 and in Linux (Fedora 10).

I have 48 GB DDR3 RAM, 2 Intel Xeon 5520 and Intel Server (Workstation) Board 5520SC.

My system does not work properly it freezes for half a second every 1-2 seconds.

I have installed newest chipset drivers from Intel but it is no difference.
I have checked Hard Drives, Power Supply, Memory, MainBoard the only thing that was not testes/exchanged were processors, but I dont get any processors releted errors. (As I said before the above happens only in Windows 7 x64.

During this not continuous work (freezing) I saw that my processors are working really hard, I attache the picture (but I have not been using any programs).

Does anybody know what it could be?

Waiting for any help.

Best,
Rafal

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums pepperoni75 :)

That's a strange problem... if you view the processes tab and click "show processes from all users", can you see if any processes are causing a huge CPU spike?

Reaction score
Hi Rafal,
Did you solve this problem? I have something very similar. A dual quad e5520 xeon on the same Intel board with 12G ram.

CPU0 keeps spiking up to 80% every two odd seconds and it causes little lags on my keyboard and mouse and video playback and sound playback. Basically little freezes on my system. The other 7 cpu's dont show the same activity. I cannot track it to any particular process.

The problem certainly also did not show up in CentOS 64 either (I had to reconfigure the machine for family use and had put on Windows 7 64 Ultimate).

Any help would be great,
Theo

Reaction score
Sounds like it could be malware. Give a good scan after updating definitions, with Malwarebytes.

Would be an excellent reason why it doesn't affect other OS.

Or perhaps a VMWare service issue, if that is installed at all. In this case, uninstall to test.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This won't solve your issue but may help pinpoint the source ...
Have you identified what process is maxing the CPU? I prefer Process Explorer (now owned by Microsoft and free to download) to task manager and I simply leave a window open for it along the side of my screen when trying to resolve issues like this so I can quickly look to see what has the CPU. If it turns out to be a svchost then click on the service for more detail as to which service it is.

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas!

1) Malwarebytes did not find anything - it was a new install and I had already scanned with AVG and Lavasoft.
2) Uninstalled Vmware and rebooted and the spikes continued - so it was not that one.
3) Installed and ran Procept - that appears to show DPC's as the errant child - while Recourse Monitor also calls it DPC's or System Interrupts.
4) I had also updated the nvidia driver - as some threads online gave that as a possible culprit. That also did not help.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Theo

Reaction score
AVG is well known to cause this type of thing. When I tell people to uninstall it, it cures these things in better than 80% of the time, in my estimate.

So I would say it has to be tried, even if only a temporary test.

You can use this tool in safe mode to rid of it:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reboot and install MSE. Good luck and you're welcome.

--------

If it doesn't fix it, then you can type msinfo32 in the start menu and then press enter. File | save on the opened screen. Zip the saved file and attach the zip to a post. I can get a detailed look at possible fixes, drivers needing updates, etc...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just an update - my problem is fixed!!!!!!

Re-installed intel network controller drivers, et voila! The spiking has gone.

Thanks kindly to all who tried to help, I really appreciate it. This forum was friendly and there was none of the rtfm-type admonishments.

Cheers,
Theo

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Quoted from Synaecide in a music forum...

• Control Panel : System Properties : Advanced : Performance : Advanced - then ensuring "Background Services" is checked.
  • In BIOS - check that your CPU speed and voltage are both locked at their default settings. Some mobos have a BIOS function that lower/raise these settings according to CPU load - but I've found more stability and performance in these both being locked.
  • Download this DPC Latency Checker (free) - run it on your system. If you see spikes in your DPC latency, then this could possibly be your problem. Some drivers and background tasks can conflict with your soundcard and cause the issue. If you have a wireless network card, disable this in Device Manager first, as they're most likely the culprits. If it continues try disabling other unnecessary devices until you find the issue.
UPDATE: Well I see you were typing at the same time but I will leave this in case it may help another. You mentioned it was your network driver and this quoted poster also mentions that possibility.

Last edited:

Ask a Question