Windows 7 64-bit

Reaction score
I recently purchased windows 7 home premium 64-bit. The seller didn't inform me about the differences between 64 and 32 bit so when I tried to intall it on my laptop it didn't work. I have a little bit older laptop which would work with the 32-bit but not 64.
I guess my question is if there is anyway i can change this version to a 32-bit instead.
The CD box is opened, i don't think vendor would exchange it for me. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. thx

Reaction score
Hi ddvvkk - Welcome to w7forums

Checkout this thread - https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links-t2910.html

Download the 32-Bit ISO of the same 64-Bit version you own. You can use the same key for both version.

I must ask if you bought the OEM or Retail version?
The Reatil version should have both 32-Bit and 64-Bit Disk in the box.
If you bought OEM, I'm not certain that key will work with the Retail downloads.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If you bought OEM, I'm not certain that key will work with the Retail downloads.
The 32 bit and 64 bit discs or ISO image files are the same size for the respective version. 32 bit is about 2.4GB and 64 bit is 3.0GB and the same goes for whether or not it's Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate. All editions of the 32 bit are 2.4GB and all editions of the 64 bit are 3.0GB

Remember several weeks back I posted where you could burn an ISO image file from the install DVD to the hard drive. Then use PowerISO to open up the ISO and go to the "support" folder and then delete the "ie.cfg" file. Then save the image with PowerISO save option. When burned to a DVD the install would now give you the options of installing Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. It is the key that makes the difference.

If you have a Professional key it only good for the Professional edition in either 32 bit or 64 bit. The key also denotes whether it is a full retail install, upgrade install or OEM install. It's the product key that is the signifies the install type.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Cliff!! I have a 64-bit OEM version. I am going to try what Nibiru suggested. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Nibiru, I tried what you suggested. I made an image from the DVD I have using powerISO. But when I went back to browse the support folder using powerISO as well, I can't find the "ie.cfg" file as you stated. Not sure if I did something wrong. Can I do this with any other software other than powerISO? Appreciate your assistance. Cheers.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Sorry it took a while to respond. I was at work.

My bad... it's the "sources" folder not the "support" folder. I had a brain fart.

Here's how to do it:

1. Find a copy of PowerISO and install it on your computer.

2. Download a copy of any Windows 7 x64 OS ISO image or use the original DVD from Microsoft to make an ISO image with PowerISO to your hard drive.

3. Open up PowerISO and use the "Open" option on the menu bar to open up the ISO image file you saved.

4. Browse to the "sources" folder and then find the "ei.cfg" file. Right-click on it and delete it. (If you want to, you can open this file with NOTEPAD and see that all it does is specify which version of Windows 7 to auto install.)

5. Then use the "Save" option in PowerISO and save to the original ISO image.

6. Burn this "altered" ISO image to a DVD at 4X speed using PowerISO or ImgBurn.

7. Now when you use this DVD to install the Windows 7 OS, you'll see in the "Install" window a list of FOUR options to install. They are as follows:
A. Home Basic x64
B. Home Premium x64
C. Professional x64
D. Ultimate x64

Pretty cool, huh? You will still need a GENUINE MS PRODUCT KEY to activate the install though. But we all know that everyone here has that already... right? :rolleyes:
These are full and genuine installs, they will update and pass the MS Validation Check also.

Now you can also do the same with the x86 ISO image too. (32bit version) Here's what you'll get with changing that ISO:
A. Home Starter x86
B. Home Basic x86
C. Home Premium x86
D. Professional x86
E. Ultimate x86

I hope y'all will enjoy this little tutorial of mine. Believe me, it works! :ciao:

NOTE: If you don't have PowerISO, this will also work with UltraISO too!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Will this work with the "trial" versions? A couple of reviewers complained that the program would only process so large of a file. And would Power2Go or ImgBurn accomplish the same task?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
No you need a registered version to get it to work correctly.

ImgBurn won't do this and I'm not sure about Power2Go by Cyberlink.

Reaction score
Thanks Nibiru.
I tried as you suggested and got it working. Cheers man!!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it working! Pretty cool isn't it.

Ask a Question