Windows 7 64 bit - copy folders and files, preserve datetime stamp

Reaction score
I'm having some problems with this.

I've downloaded two applications, RoboMirror and SafeCopy Free. I've also downloaded RichCopy but it's got compatability problems with Windows 7 64-bit and doesn't install.

What I'm looking for is an application that will copy files AND folders and keep the source datetime stamp. In SafeCopy Free I select the folder but it only copies the files in it (keeping the datetime stamp) but does not copy the folder.

Can anyone recommend a good GUI with a tested download link and instructions (RoboCopy or something else?). I would ideally like to keep the original datetime stamp of all folders, subfolders and files when copied.

Many thanks for any advice.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use a free Microsoft product called Synctoy for back-ups that synchronizes two directories. It would not be convenient if you are constantly changing where to and from you are copying because it requires you establish a folder relationship. But if you are doing as I am and simply synchronizing your external drive then it might suit your needs pretty well.

It may be worth trying to see if it suits your needs.

Reaction score
Thanks for this hint. I've downloaded Synctoy and will test it to see if it fits the bill. The ideal solution would be cloud based but this won't be right for me as I've got 160GB worth of files and folders and don't have unlimited downloading.

I guess what is important is to keep the datetime stamp and I didn't realise at first how much work it would be coordinating files and folders between two computers!...

Reaction score
Perhaps, to not have to maintain exact copies, you could keep master singles in the cloud, like with Dropbox, and just access them locally with shortcuts?

Reaction score
That is possible but I'm averse to putting everything in the cloud. I guess there isn't a perfect solution for this, but that's why you have networks and cloud computing...

Reaction score
I managed to copy and paste what I wanted within its own partition and now it's OK in the sense of the subfolders having preserved their datetime stamp, but when I try to copy the main folder to a new partition it changes the datetime stamp which is annoying.

Whatever 3rd party application I have tried doesn't seem to have worked and I only want to do this on spec and not have a constant synchronisation between two partitions.

I am only running a home laptop but don't network and system administrators have to do this thing all the time?

Ask a Question