Windows 7 64 bit - copy folders and files, preserve datetime stamp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meridius10, Jun 12, 2014.

1. meridius10

meridius10

I'm having some problems with this.

I've downloaded two applications, RoboMirror and SafeCopy Free. I've also downloaded RichCopy but it's got compatability problems with Windows 7 64-bit and doesn't install.

What I'm looking for is an application that will copy files AND folders and keep the source datetime stamp. In SafeCopy Free I select the folder but it only copies the files in it (keeping the datetime stamp) but does not copy the folder.

Can anyone recommend a good GUI with a tested download link and instructions (RoboCopy or something else?). I would ideally like to keep the original datetime stamp of all folders, subfolders and files when copied.

Many thanks for any advice.

meridius10, Jun 12, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. meridius10

TrainableMan ^ The World's First ^ Moderator

I use a free Microsoft product called Synctoy for back-ups that synchronizes two directories. It would not be convenient if you are constantly changing where to and from you are copying because it requires you establish a folder relationship. But if you are doing as I am and simply synchronizing your external drive then it might suit your needs pretty well.

It may be worth trying to see if it suits your needs.

TrainableMan, Jun 12, 2014
    meridius10 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. meridius10

meridius10

Thanks for this hint. I've downloaded Synctoy and will test it to see if it fits the bill. The ideal solution would be cloud based but this won't be right for me as I've got 160GB worth of files and folders and don't have unlimited downloading.

I guess what is important is to keep the datetime stamp and I didn't realise at first how much work it would be coordinating files and folders between two computers!...

meridius10, Jun 13, 2014
  4. meridius10

jefboyardee

Perhaps, to not have to maintain exact copies, you could keep master singles in the cloud, like with Dropbox, and just access them locally with shortcuts?

jefboyardee, Jun 13, 2014
  5. meridius10

meridius10

That is possible but I'm averse to putting everything in the cloud. I guess there isn't a perfect solution for this, but that's why you have networks and cloud computing...

meridius10, Jun 13, 2014
  6. meridius10

meridius10

I managed to copy and paste what I wanted within its own partition and now it's OK in the sense of the subfolders having preserved their datetime stamp, but when I try to copy the main folder to a new partition it changes the datetime stamp which is annoying.

Whatever 3rd party application I have tried doesn't seem to have worked and I only want to do this on spec and not have a constant synchronisation between two partitions.

I am only running a home laptop but don't network and system administrators have to do this thing all the time?

meridius10, Jun 13, 2014
  7. meridius10

Aaditya Singhania

Well I would suggest you to give GS RichCopy 360 another try. They have made changes in their software and now it is fully compatible with all the PC having windows XP and above. The GUI is also improved and they have added a number of features, like scheduling the copy, email notification when the job is done and many more, which will surely attract you. I am suggesting this software because I use the same from a long time in my company after being dissatisfied with all the other comparable software like RoboCopy, SafeCopy, SyncToy etc. You can also get their free trail copy.

Aaditya Singhania, Feb 15, 2017
    1. Advertisements