SOLVED Windows 7 32-bit installs but 64-bit stalls

Reaction score
My system was running 32-bit Vista and I tried to update to 64-bit Windows 7. It would hang once it got to the starting windows screen. Control-alt-delete wouldn't launch task manager and I would have to use the power button to power off.

I tried repairing the installation but it says that it can't automatically fix the problem.

I did the memory test and it passed.

Reading at other places I have tried
* changing the boot order from HDD/DVD to DVD/HDD.
* ejecting the DVD and closing it while it was hung
* disabled the USB Keyboard and mouse in BIOS
* waited 30 mins
*disabled the USB controller in BIOS
* disabled the FDD and LAN in BIOS

nothing worked.

So I tried installing the 32-bit Windows 7 and it worked with no issues.

What would you try next to get the 64-bit version installed?

Thanks very much in advance.

Reaction score
Enable Plug & Play OS to yes or enabled, if that setting exists in the bios.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do as LeHam asked and post your computer specs. Motherboard model and brand, RAM, etc. as that will help immensely.

Nearly all recent motherboards of the last two years are "plug & play" so the previous reply may or may not help. Plug & Play was a setting for older motherboards.

Reaction score
You have to do a clean install

You can't do a upgrade of 32 bit Vista to 64 bit 7. You need to backup what files you want to be in 7 and disconnect your internet cable from the back of the pc. Set the bios to boot from DVD drive by hitting Del key when you turn the pc on. Select to Boot from DVD by pressing Enter key. Click Install now, Click Advanced Options, Format your C: drive install Windows 7. After install is complete rehook your internet cable in Windows 7 and open and close DVD drive click on the UAC Prrompt to let it run yhe DVD and do an Upgrade Install. After the Upgrade install is compltet Activate Windows 7 by right clicking Computer on right side of Start Menu and clicking on Activate Now.
My system was running 32-bit Vista and I tried to update to 64-bit Windows 7. It would hang once it got to the starting windows screen. Control-alt-delete wouldn't launch task manager and I would have to use the power button to power off.

I tried repairing the installation but it says that it can't automatically fix the problem.

I did the memory test and it passed.

Reading at other places I have tried
* changing the boot order from HDD/DVD to DVD/HDD.
* ejecting the DVD and closing it while it was hung
* disabled the USB Keyboard and mouse in BIOS
* waited 30 mins
*disabled the USB controller in BIOS
* disabled the FDD and LAN in BIOS

nothing worked.

So I tried installing the 32-bit Windows 7 and it worked with no issues.

What would you try next to get the 64-bit version installed?

Thanks very much in advance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is an Acer Desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+ 2.3 Ghz
4 GB ram

I ran the Upgrade Advisor and everything checked out.

I was doing a custom upgrade.

Reaction score
You have to do a Clean Install

You have to do a Clean Install going from Windows x86 to Windows x64. You can use the Upgrade version, just follow my instructions from earlier. The first install Don't enter a Product Key and Uncheck Activate Windows when online. On the 2nd install from inside of Windows 7 select Upgrade install, enter the Product Key and leave the Activate Windows when online checked this time. After the upgrade install completes right click on Compputer and click on Activate Windows now. After that get all Windows Updates. You'll probably have to run that a few times until it doesn't find any. Then update your drivers from either Windows Update or the various manufacturers of your computers components. If you get any BSOD's I'm sure TorrentG will be glad to help you solve them.
It is an Acer Desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 4400+ 2.3 Ghz
4 GB ram

I ran the Upgrade Advisor and everything checked out.

I was doing a custom upgrade.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
brkkab123 is correct. You cannot do an upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You have to do a clean or custom install.

Check out Nibiru2012's link above for a tutorial.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
DON'T DO THE UPGRADE INSTALL! You're just wasting time and it doesn't really work that great anyway.

Do a clean / custom install.

I have personally used Paul Thurrott's method many times on clients and friends computers and it works flawlessly! Believe me this one time.

I don't claim to be a "know it all" but I do know the Paul Thurrott method works!

Reaction score
Acer is one of the companies that has the Plug & Play option in the bios of some or all of its machines. It must be set to yes. Did you check on this?

Reaction score
OK. Please forgive me I was using the wrong terminology in my posts.(Install versus Update).

My BIOS does not have the Plug&Play OS setting.

Here is exactly what I did the first time for the 64-bit version

1) backed-up all my files
2) Had the system boot from the DVD and I performed a Custom Install
3) The screen where all the files unpack and it checks-off 5 items worked fine
4) It did a reboot that went well
5) On the second reboot it says starting Windows, the four color window is in the middle of the screen and on the bottom it says Microsoft Corporation.

It just hangs at this point (> 60 mins). I have to use the power button to turn the system off.

I went through the same procedure and was able to install the 32-bit version without a problem.

I have one of those stupid 6 in 1 card readers and I read elsewhere that may be a problem. I can't figure out where to disable it.

I looked at Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows and with the 64-bit install I never get to the point of entering the activation code.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
It shouldn't be hanging at the four color window during startup.

How old is your laptop? Is it truly 64 bit capable?

How are your RAM settings?

Installing a video driver won't help at this point because you can't get there to install it, so that's a moot point.

What model of Acer laptop is it? Give us some more info please.

Reaction score
Install the latest video driver from ATI or NVIDIA, in safe mode and it should fix it at that point:

NVIDIA

Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Once to normal mode, install again so the Control Panel is installed too.
It shouldn't be hanging at the four color window during startup.

How old is your laptop? Is it truly 64 bit capable?

How are your RAM settings?

Installing a video driver won't help at this point because you can't get there to install it, so that's a moot point.

What model of Acer laptop is it? Give us some more info please.
It is an Acer M3100-215DX. It is three years old. It is a desktop and it "passed" the Windows 7 upgrade advisor for 64-bit.

What exactly do you mean by RAM settings?

I can't even get it to launch in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
My bad, I misread your post and thought you had a full install of 64 bit. (I speed-read posts which is often well, but not 100% heh heh.)

You can try this method to install while disabling the video adapter driver and see if it goes any better for you:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/15856-device-manager-access-during-windows-7-installation.html
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

I disabled the video and the 6 in 1 card reader and it launched. Once it launched I re-enabled the video and it hung again. So I need to update that driver.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!

I disabled the video and the 6 in 1 card reader and it launched. Once it launched I re-enabled the video and it hung again. So I need to update that driver.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.
You're welcome.

Last edited:

Ask a Question