SOLVED Windoes does not recognise files by "double click"

Reaction score
I have recently carried out clean install of OS. on C:\

My documents, videos, pictures etc are on E:\
Locations are set correctly as per:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size_p2/2941

While I can see them to browse, and can copy move etc. .... if I double click on an item to open I get error:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them."

For example I double click a video file I get that error ... yet if I carry out via right click :
open with> VLC media player

It opens and runs fine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
the default action of the dbl-click may not be the same as "open with VLC". When you right-click the very first OPEN is the action assigned to that file extension and should be what happens if you dbl-click. If you want VLC to be the pgm that runs then you need to go to file associations and locate the file extension of the file you are dbl-clicking and assign it to VLC.

Reaction score
the default action of the dbl-click may not be the same as "open with VLC". When you right-click the very first OPEN is the action assigned to that file extension and should be what happens if you dbl-click. If you want VLC to be the pgm that runs then you need to go to file associations and locate the file extension of the file you are dbl-clicking and assign it to VLC.
Maybe my description was unclear ... its not a file association issue.
If I double click, video, jpeg etc. On a file which is on C:/ .... they open correctly.
No files open on E:/ by double click.
Not just video files.

It appears its a permissions error.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are correct and it is the Permissions then simply install the Take Ownership script and then Take Ownership of all the root-level folders you created on the other drive.

Personally this is a point where I say that article makes a mistake; by not having you put them all under one high-level folder name it makes it that much harder to control permissions (to allow or deny).

Reaction score
Yep .. that worked ... thnx ...
Will any new files or folders craeted have correct ownership ? ..... or will Ihave to keep using this process.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
99% sure new files created will be fine as long as they are put under the folders you already took ownership of.

Ask a Question