Take Ownership

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are system protected files and folders that you even administrators are not granted access to by default and changing the permission settings manually can be rather complicated. This Take Ownership registry tweak adds Take Ownership to the Windows Explorer Right-Click Context Menu.
Take Ownership
View attachment takeownership.zip

Though technically not an application, this utility / registry tweak is so useful to administrators that I felt it belonged in the Freeware Database.

Requirements:
Your ID must have administrator privileges.

How to use:
Install this program.
Open Window Explorer.
Select the File or Folder to which you require access.
Right-click and choose "Take Ownership" from the context menu.
Let the script run (this can take quite a while if you choose a folder and that folder has many files & subfolders)
You should now have access.

Warning:
With much power comes great responsibility. There are reasons files & folders are protected even from Administrators so if you damage your system poking where you shouldn't, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
TM - Thanks for the little application. I have used it in the past and it comes in handy.

I also use Ultimate Windows Tweaker v2.1 from The Windows Club and it has a feature for Take Ownership also, for files and folders.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks - a very good listing! I've used this app a few times and it's really handy.

Reaction score
Thanks for this, I get really annoyed when I can't readily access whatever I want on my own pc.

Ask a Question