Win7 Setup hangs

Reaction score
Guys, I badly need some help.
I'm trying to install Win7 Ultimate but what happens is that my system hangs - randomly at any time during the installation, like it first hanged during 'Format'ing the drive, then after starting it all over, in the 2nd attemt, it hanged during 'Expanding Files' etc etc. Somehow, after many attempts I managed to install it without it being hanged during the installation but now Win7 hangs (even without me installing anything else... it hanged at the 1st start-up too) randomly at any time and all I can do is rebooting. I tried re-installing but that only increased the frequency hangs.

This problem had also occured when I was installing Vista, but didn't make more than 2-3 attempts to install it. XP works fine on my System but I don't think its an System Requirements issue but what it is, I'm not able to make out.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello shiv! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

Give us a listing of your hardware, ie motherboard, hard drive(s), RAM, video card, etc., that will help and is a beginning.

Are you trying to install with more than one hard drive connected?

Have you tested your RAM with MemTest86?

Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Glad to be here. Thanks!! :)

1. I have attached a detailed info of my system config.

2. No, I got only a single HDD.

3. No, I have not testem my RAM with MemTest86. I tried to do it after you guys said, but failed to understand how to use it. I have already tried Windows Memory Diagnostics and acc to it, everything is fine. :s

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Makes me question how stable his hardware is.

It doesn't mention your motherboard type, please let us know. I see you have a 1GB stick and a 500MB stick of memory. Some computers require the memory in pairs.

Do you have a desktop or laptop? Manufacturer/Model #?

Reaction score
its a locally assembled desktop.

even i dunno abt my motherboard lol! (i hadnt bought it). plz tell me a way to find it :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I was wrong, it's in the list. Jetway 945GZ/GC. The only thing I found suggests it can be single or dual-channel memory so if in single channel mode then the memory you have is probably allowed. Did you try the tests cybercore suggested?

Reaction score
No, I'm not being able to understand how to do the memtest.
do i have to write the memtest file to a CD and thn boot it?

also, wouldn't windows mem debugging tool be sufficient? i had already run it and it said that everything is fyn

Reaction score
btw, can anyone please help me out with this on some IM client preferably IRC? cuz i see that this process is taking a really long time mainly because I'm able to come online only once in a single day... so it would be better and fast if anyone could do that :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, you download the ISO zip and burn it to a CD, then run it overnight.

The truth is, this is a very difficult type problem because it is quite probably a hardware issue, not our usual W7 issue at all. You could have a bad board, memory, hard drive, be underpowered, or overclocked, etc. I suppose it's even possible your hardware simply isn't supported by W7.

I personally have no ideas left I could suggest as I'm not strong on the hardware side. Sure I can swap modular components but not really diagnose hardware problems, sorry.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't know how accurate those values are, but 10.47 Volts is low for 12V rail. Is your power supply whatever el cheapo your OEM slapped in? Have you tried installing/booting your system without the nVidia card in there, using just onboard for graphics?

Reaction score
Power supply is ok. I'll try stripping my system hardware to the minimal and re-install Win7.

Attaching my dump file btw.

Attachments

Reaction score
Power supply is ok. I'll try stripping my system hardware to the minimal and re-install Win7.

Attaching my dump file btw.
1) Your USB serial modem driver seriously needs an update to latest available, from manufacturer's site:

ewusbmdm ewusbmdm.sys Tue Mar 20 22:03:56 2007

2) Your Realtek network driver needs an update just as much. Type systeminfo in a command prompt then press enter. You can see which Realtek lan number you have. If it is 8139, use the following link. If anything else, type the number in the left box and search for it:

Rtnicxp Rtnicxp.sys Mon Mar 31 01:41:05 2008

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...RTL8139D(L)/RTL8100(L)<br>RTL8130/RTL8139B(L)

-----

Enjoy.

Reaction score
can u plz explain whats the USB serial modem thing :S
Sure thing:

http://www.runscanner.net/lib/ewusbmdm.sys.html

"Ewusbmdm.sys with description USB Modem/Serial Device Driver is a driver file from company Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. belonging to product Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. USB Modem/Serial Device Driver."

Probably belongs to your cell phone software or similar. In this case, update phone software from cell phone manufacturer's website.

Reaction score
thnx a lot!! :D

but i doubt a newer version of that driver is availabe... anything else can be done?

Reaction score
Update the other Realtek one and hope for the best.

The USB Modem driver is probably very much causing issues too though, so no, nothing else can be done besides updating or uninstalling the software, if issues persist.

Very welcome. :)

Reaction score
i had that same USB Modem driver installed on many diffrent PCs running Vista Home Premium but it didnt cause any issues. Also, my system used to hang before i had installed it so do u really think tht its an issue?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Torrent, correct me if I'm wrong, but If he/she isn't using dial-up they could uninstall it and simply not use it?

Reaction score
i had that same USB Modem driver installed on many diffrent PCs running Vista Home Premium but it didnt cause any issues. Also, my system used to hang before i had installed it so do u really think tht its an issue?
Windows 7 should not have any drivers from prior to July 2009 installed, which is the RTM date. There are some exceptions for certain instances, but networking drivers are particularly going to cause Windows 7 to bsod when older than the RTM date.

So with that, it simply must be removed from the system as a test, if issues persist. I would check for an update as there likely will be one.

Torrent, correct me if I'm wrong, but If he/she isn't using dial-up they could uninstall it and simply not use it?
Yes. I don't know the capabilities of the phone or its intended usage on the pc, but the phone probably can be used to provide internet service to the pc.

In this case, the driver can simply be uninstalled using the device manager, while checking the box to delete the driver as well.

Ask a Question