Win7 keeps wanting to format additional HDD

Reaction score
I have recently ran inot a problem with Win 7 Wanting to constantly reformat additional HDD that I use for storage. It will not show that the drive has anything on it. However when I take the drive out and put into and XP computer it shows everything on it and still works fine. I have tried to search problem on line and no one seems to have the answer. I have went to MS support but no answer there either. It seems that alot of people are haveing this problem but no one has the right answer, I will say it is not the drive and it is a freshly loaded complete install win7. Has anyone else ran into this problem?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the make and model of your external HD device? Does it connect via USB/eSata? Are you sure you have the latest firmware installed for that device? In Device Manager have you tried loading a new driver?

Reaction score
It is a WD 500. It is a sata internal drive, and I do have the latest drivers.It has got to be something in win7. I have taken it out and put and another win7 comp and Win 7 see it loads it and when try to open it nothing there. However I have another comp with XP Pro and when attached to it everything works fine and all folders and files are there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you boot up to the BIOS on the W7 machine(s), does your motherboard see this troublesome hard drive properly? If not then that is the first issue you need to resolve. You should check to make sure your MOBO is running the latest BIOS.

Ask a Question