Win7 in MS VM under XP

Reaction score
I am running Win7 in a MS VM under XP. The performance is terrible, unlike the first 2 others that I set up. Heres what I know:

1) Other XP VMs work fine under the same XP host. (MS VM 2007 SP1)
2) It looks like it is processor bound, not memory. 3G available, I gave this VM 1.6G
3) I didnt select Vista, but Other when I created the VM - I know that I am having trouble with the Sound Card because of this one.
4) I have installed a couple of apps and added it to the domain and it has gotten worse.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

SB

Reaction score
Additional -

I just realized that joining the domain reverted my profile back to the default that included Aero. I have set that back and it is as it was before joining the domain, but it still is seriously processor constrained.

SB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is Virtual Machine Additions installed? I'm guessing it is, but it would be worth doing so if not.

Is using Virtual Box a possibility? I found Windows 7 worked much better in that than MS Virtual PC.

Reaction score
Addions are there. I saw your other posts about Virtual Box but no, that isnt an option in this case.

SB

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
What CPU are you running this on? I'm going to quote the wiki because I think it answers both the CPU limitations and the Creative Sound problems you are having.

Virtual PC emulates the following environment:
  • Intel Pentium III (32-bit) processor (but virtualizes the host processor on Windows versions) with an Intel 440BX chipset.
  • Standard SVGA VESA graphics card (S3 Trio 32 PCI with 4 MB video RAM, adjustable in later versions up to 16 MB).
  • System BIOS from American Megatrends (AMI).
  • Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 ISA PnP. (When Vista is installed as both the host (main) and guest (virtual) operating systems, settings are synchronized with the host and audio configuration is not required.)
  • DEC 21041 (DEC 21140 in newer versions) Ethernet network card.
If you wish to take full advantage of a modern CPU's processing power (or more than 3GB of RAM) I'd recommend Virtual Box or VMware Player as both are free... personally I use VMware Worksation.

Last edited:

Ask a Question