Win 7 won't upgrade from Vista NTFS version

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade my 32bit Vista Home Premium to 32 bit Win 7 Ultimate and keep all my already installed programs. When I reach the Upgrade or Custom boxes on install and hit Upgrade, I get the error message that my current Vista version of NTFS file structure in not supported by Win 7, and, to install I must do a custom Install. How can I change my current Vista NTFS format to one that can be upgraded to Win 7? Isn't there is only one version of NTFS ---- Any help out there? Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
NTFS is the file structure of the hard drive and has nothing to do with whether you can upgrade.

You cannot go directly from 32-bit Vista Home Prem. to 32-bit W7 Ultimate, it is not possible, as it is not a valid upgrade path.

To not reinstall all your programs you only have two choices ...
-1. Buy an anytime upgrade to upgrade your Vista to Ultimate and then you can upgrade from Vista Ult to W7 Ult with your DVD.
-2. Return W7 Ult and buy 32-bit W7 Home Prem and then you can upgrade directly from Vista H.P. to W7 H.P.

Otherwise you are still legal to upgrade but it requires a custom install ...
-Do a fresh install of your W7 Ult including reinstalling all your programs.

P.S. If you are going to do a custom install then I suggest if you have 2GB RAM or more then go 64-bit rather than 32-bit if your computer supports it.

Basically a custom install is required to change editions (such as Home Prem to Ultimate or Professional to Home Premium) or OS bit-size (32 to 64 or 64 to 32).

Last edited:
Reaction score
TrainableMan,
Thanks, you answered my question..... it greatly angers me that MS's upgrade path graphic on Web site shows Vista Home Premium will upgrade just fine, as did the Win 7 upgrade adviser I ran before trying many hours trying to install and then figure this out.....instead of not telling the whole truth. about having to do a clean install.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You know, I believe my memory was wrong. Now that I actually went and pulled up the old chart, it seems to indicate that you should in fact be able to do an in-place install from 32 Vista H.P. to 32 W7 Ultimate.

Here is the chart

So maybe there is something odd about your NTFS hard drive format. I need to look a little further.

UPDATE: I can't find anything related to a difference in NTFS from Vista to W7 and according to the chart you should be able to upgrade in-place. So I apologize for wasting your time because I have no answer to your current situation.

Last edited:

Ask a Question