SOLVED Win 7 Upgrade freezes at 59% Trans Files

Reaction score
I am having issues getting Win 7 to install from Vista on my Inspiron 1720 (32 bit).

I have read about several issues that could be causing the problem. I have tried to upgrade from Vista to Win 7 three times with no luck, it always gets to the last step of transferring files 59% and then freezes up.

Here is what I have done:

- updated bios A09 (is that what I need to have? I see other postings regarding A12.) I did the bios update using MS Explorer, not Firefox

-Done something with msconfig to do a clean boot - I deselected everything that isn't MS and left it that way.

-Downloaded the most recent Nvidia driver

I am running out of things to try. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi Kymv and Welcome to the forum.

FYI

The general consensus, you will find, is that "upgrading" to Windows 7 in general, is a time bomb waiting to happen.

It's much better to do a clean install of Windows 7. This can be done with an upgrade disc. See this excellent article by Paul Thurrott on how to go about it.

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thank you! I tried your suggestion and it worked great. I was able to activate with no problem too. A much more efficient way to do this!

The only question I have now is that when I boot up the computer it's asking if I want to bring up Vista or Windows 7. I do not know much about partioned hard drives, but I am assuming this is an issue that has something to do with that? I would like to completely wipe out Vista, any suggestions?

My computer shows 2 drives, c as recovery (which I didn't notice it was called recovery until today) that only has 480 mb of free space of 9.99 GB and d as the OS with 59.8 GB free of 99.2 GB. Not sure if this matters, but I somehow think it relates.

Thanks again!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hello Kymv! Welcome to the Window 7 forums website.

During the Windows 7 install when you got to the screen showing the hard drive(s) and related partitions, you should have deleted ALL partitions and done a true clean install.

Now you have the dual-boot situation. I recommend that you go and do a full clean install, deleting partitions and then creating new ones.

Reaction score
THANKS!!

Thank you so much for your advice. I did exactly what you said and it worked, no issues at all. I entered the product key manually too based on the earlier article that was suggested and had no issues whatsoever. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ask a Question