Win 7 Install Issue, Need Advice Please!

Reaction score
Here is my current situation: I currently have a 250 G hard drive with Windows XP on it, a 500 Gig hard drive with documents, etc. and a newly purchased 1 TB drive.

What I want to do is use the new HD for my new Win 7 installation, take out the 250 G drive and save it with my XP setup, and then install the 500 Gig drive back in.

My problem is I cannot boot the Windows 7 CD. I've tried everything. I know it isn't a BIOS setting, my Windows XP CD boots up just fine.

So my question is, within XP, can I run the setup program on my new drive (Windows is designating it as E) and then simply replace the two? I am getting an error message saying something about "Windows cannot boot to this device because of my BIOS" or something like that, but I would think it would work once the XP drive was taken out and my new drive with 7 was moved in it's place.

What I don't want the computer to think is that I want to generate a dual boot, I don't. This computer will only have Windows 7 on it.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I spend most of my weekend trying to figure out how to do this, and have not come up with a solution.

Thanks a ton!

Mark

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would not leave the XP drive in the machine at all if you hope to keep it because W7 has it's own boot loader.

A true W7 DVD is bootable on its own. Did you buy an upgrade version or the full version? If you bought an upgrade then legally you are not entitled to keep the XP copy active, though storing it in a drawer as a backup shouldn't be a violation.

Personally, I would install the 1TB drive and set up your Bios to boot from the DVD drive first, then install W7 and finally reinstall your 500GB drive. If you cannot boot the system from your W7 DVD then I would question it's authenticity and would return it to where you bought it.

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. It is definately a legit Win 7 CD. It is the upgrade version though. The hard drive with XP won't even remain in the computer, I'm just keeping it just in case. I still don't know why the Win 7 CD won't boot. I may have to take it to Geek Squad and see if it works for them. Thanks again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well since it's an upgrade it will give you less hassle if XP is on the drive. I think you should consider swapping out the 500GB for the 1TB and cloning the 250GB over to your 1TB. Then remove the 250 and store it away. Boot up with XP on the 1TB and install W7. Then reconnect your 500GB data.

Ask a Question