SOLVED WIN 7 Home Premium will not update

Reaction score
Would be very thankful for any advice on the problem detailed below:-
Computer is a Dell Dimension 9150
RAM is 4 Gb
HD size 100 Gb

64 Bit Installation Disk Win 7 Home Premium

Because of cluttered disk I decided to do a clean install

The Install went OK as also the activation.

Firstly the IE Version on the CD was Version 8.

When I hit the windows update key I got a message back saying that IE8 was no longer supported and requested I immediately updated to IE 11 which I did. It appeared to run ok and was fairly fast on the Internet.

I tried again hitting the update windows key and the screen indicated that something was happening to my request. The Computer ran all night from 2200 to 0800 this morning and the windows update screen still indicated that updates were being looked for.

I aborted the windows update and tried running the windows 7 updater trouble shooter provided by Microsoft, this immediately changed from the windows updater trouble shooter to windows updater on line. That indicated that updates were being sought and I left it searching for another 4 hours before cancelling the update request.

Any assistance/Advice would be most appreciated

Znord737

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First off 100GB is extremely small so you will likely fill it up quickly. A fresh install of W7 means years of updates to install; hopefully you at least installed W7 SP1 to save a couple years worth. As for running updates you would be best running them manually a few at a time or it will seem to go on forever, especially any .NET updates.

Before you do that though, run the Microsoft fix-it for Windows Updates.

Reaction score
First off 100GB is extremely small so you will likely fill it up quickly. A fresh install of W7 means years of updates to install; hopefully you at least installed W7 SP1 to save a couple years worth. As for running updates you would be best running them manually a few at a time or it will seem to go on forever, especially any .NET updates.

Before you do that though, run the Microsoft fix-it for Windows Updates.
QUOTE Thank you for taking the trouble and time to message me. Yes I totally agree the partition is somewhat small I had planned to change that once I got the PC up and running again. I had previously run Fix It umpteen times with no visible results and omitted to mention it earlier. Today I came upon another solution which currently I am trying, that was to stop the update running in the services and delete the software in the software distribution, restart the windows updater again in the services and then try and download. That appeared to work as I could see the hard disk operational as various updates were downloaded, its been running now since nearly 4 hours and is still churning away. One wonders why MS never made an option that you could down load 5 or 10 updates at a time rather than 80 or 90. At least with the smaller update down load you could be sure that something was actually happening rather than waiting 5 hours and finding out that somewhere along the line the download stuck and one has to start all over again. Once again thank you for your suggestions much appreciated . I will leave the down load running overnight and let you know tomorrow what transpires.
Znord737

Reaction score
"Quote"
After 5 hours yesterday trying this and that recommended fix from many sources on the Internet I achieved nothing apart from pulling my hair out and lamenting I ever got involved with M/S Windows in the first place and having a very angry wife.

The last resort was to leave the PC downloading windows updates all night. Needless to remark when I had a look this morning the PC said it was still downloading windows updates...................I gave up then and went back to the drawing board............

Windows M/S internet help was useless and basically told me to do the same things I had been doing now for 4 days.......

More research on the Internet and I came upon two suggested fixes each from different people which I had a try with and lo and behold it fixed the problem straight away.

So if you are doing a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium make sure first you down load and save the following necessary updates to a memory stick or CD ........KB 3083710............KB3102810...........KB3135445..........
When the clean install has completed , run those three updates, from there on in Windows Download is all automatic.

Firstly I am surprised that M/S never even mentioned this solution at all in their Tutorials, perhaps they are more interested in pushing sales of Win 10 now and have lost interest in Win 7 ias n their eyes it is on the downwards trail.

Thanks again to all who made suggestions and the time taken for a possible fix ........ I can confirm that this one works ,,,,,,,,,
Znord737

Reaction score
"Quote"
After 5 hours yesterday trying this and that recommended fix from many sources on the Internet I achieved nothing apart from pulling my hair out and lamenting I ever got involved with M/S Windows in the first place and having a very angry wife.

The last resort was to leave the PC downloading windows updates all night. Needless to remark when I had a look this morning the PC said it was still downloading windows updates...................I gave up then and went back to the drawing board............

Windows M/S internet help was useless and basically told me to do the same things I had been doing now for 4 days.......

More research on the Internet and I came upon two suggested fixes each from different people which I had a try with and lo and behold it fixed the problem straight away.

So if you are doing a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium make sure first you down load and save the following necessary updates to a memory stick or CD ........KB 3083710............KB3102810...........KB3135445..........
When the clean install has completed , run those three updates, from there on in Windows Download is all automatic.

Firstly I am surprised that M/S never even mentioned this solution at all in their Tutorials, perhaps they are more interested in pushing sales of Win 10 now and have lost interest in Win 7 ias n their eyes it is on the downwards trail.

Thanks again to all who made suggestions and the time taken for a possible fix ........ I can confirm that this one works ,,,,,,,,,
Znord737
I've been working on mine for days. Done everything I can find. I downloaded the three files you mention here, but when I run them it comes up with 'Windows update standalone installer: Searching for updates on this computer. '
One odd thing, there is no wusa service in my Windows?
Looks like I am still looking for a fix so any suggestions are welcome.

Reaction score
Borristhemoggy,
I am sorry you are having so much trouble with trying to get the Windows Updater to work.
What I did to enable this to work was
1 Clean Install Win 7
2 Once it installs disconnect immediately your connection from the internet
3 You then install the three KB updates from a CD or a I Flash Stick.
4 Reconnect to Internet
5 Click on Windows update and stand back and wait , mine started straight away, from previous comments if you let the windows go straight into install update after you have had a clean install that somehow prevents any updates from happening. I am not technically aufait why this should be other than to say what I have told you worked for me no problems.
It is a headache not only for you /me and thousands of others/a trawl on the internet indicates loads of people experiencing the same problem
I hope you get sorted out , I regret I cannot be more helpful
Kind regards
Znord737

Ask a Question