SOLVED Win 7 Home Premium Network problem

Reaction score
I have four Win 7 Home Premium systems on a LAN. Systems A,B,C can see each other bi-directionally, at least to the extent that I can create shared folders on each of these 3 systems, which shares are fully accessible on the other 2 systems.
I just added a new system D to the LAN. From System D, I can see shares on A,B,C.
From B and C, I can see shares on D. But from A, I cannot access D in any way nor see shares on D.
Although system D shows up in A's network folder, when I click on D, I get the standard error message: "You do not have permission to access D."
If try to map a network drive from A, I am given the option of mapping "\\D\share", and I click on "Finish", a dialog comes up with "D\share", presumably a Username, (where share is the name of a the shared folder on D), and I'm asked to provide a password. I have tried the Homegroup password for A but that didn't work.
I left the Homegroup on D, which Homegroup was created when Win 7 first booted up on D.
Any creative ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This is marked as solved. If you were able to fix it please post back as to how you accomplished it.

Reaction score
Hi TM:
When trying to access a shared folder on system D from system A, I enter as Username: "systemA Computername\systemA user name" and enter as password the Homegroup password of system A, which can be found on system A.
This is a good enough workaround, as System A doesn't really have full access to System D, but at least has full access to the shared folders on System D.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Aren't all your computers in the SAME homegroup? If so then the homegroup password should be the same on all of them.

Reaction score
No, that was the problem, not all on the same Homegroup. I had to leave the Homegroup on System D before I could make this work.

Ask a Question