Win 7 Home Premium 64 - Epson Wireless projector issue

Reaction score
I have just purchased a new dell laptop which comes with Windows 7 Home Premium 64. This was from Costco or I would have had Windows 7 ultimate installed. I am presently stuck with this configuration. System has 8 gig memory and a 500 gig hard drive and a i7 720QM intel processor.

Anyway I also have a brand new Epson projector which has drivers for Vista 32 and Windows 7 32 and will work with Windows 7 64 if hardwired through USB or VGA but not with the Projectors wireless capability. Epson says at present the wireless feature will not function with a 64 bit system. Their wireless EMP software only works with 32 bit systems. That is my problem. There are times when making presentations I need the wireless capability to work. My old dell Inspiron laptop is a Windows XP Pro system and works with the wireless feature but is dated and slow when used with the wireless. I purchased this new laptop to gain the speed needed to make wireless presentations pratical.

I wasn't thinking ahead when I ordered the system or I wouldn't have ordered a 64 bit system. I am taking the computer back to costco if I cannot resolve this problem.

Epson appearently does not have a work around at this point in time. Has anyone here solved this issue? I would love to keep this laptop but can't justify it if I can't get it to do what I need it to do.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Old_Man_Time! That is a great laptop you have there! With 8GB RAM, installing a 32 bit on it would be a serious mistake. You do have the choice of doing the Windows Anytime Upgrade to Pro or Ultimate. Pro costs $89 & Ultimate costs $139. It's an easy upgrade, you pay for it, they email you a key, you click onto Anytime Upgrade (in the Start Menu) and enter your new serial. All versions of Windows 7 are there, even on the Starter offered in netbooks. If you have Pro or above, you're entitled to a free program called Windows Virtual PC w/XP Mode. It's a pre-activated copy of XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) that will run software/hardware that won't run on Windows 7 (or 64 bit Win 7). This may or may not interest you, if you don't need the wireless all of the time, it may suit your needs. You do need Pro (or above) for this program. And it's my understanding that the hardware requirement has been dropped for XP Mode. But, please throughly check this out yourself, prior to doing anything. The product is a Microsoft one, visit "Windows Virtual PC" and read up on it. I have it on my desktop myself, but don't have a wireless monitor to try it out for you. But other than installing a 32 bit OS, this is the best option on the table for you. Best of luck to you, and should you need further assistance, please post back.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. After a lot of research it turns out that the VM function of Windows 7 64 will not help me with my issue so this very nice laptop is going back to Costco.

Ask a Question