win 7 - driver installation crash

Reaction score
hello,
We just had new workstations at our office running windows 7 .
hardware configuration is hp workstation with Intel Xeon 3.2 ghz - 4 core , 16 gb ram , 500 gb drive.
One pointing device driver is causing a crash and cannot be installed .
Device is a small trackpad by Adesso/cirque - model name "smartcat" .
Driver version is GlidePoint 368 . Company has assured me it is the up to date win7 version and there are no issues with it.

most times during install widows froze , and when forcing the installer to quit using the manager , pointer would not move anymore , only keyboard would still work and i had to restart .

at one point i had a windows error message saying " the windows installer is not correctly installed, contact your support for assistance "

after a few attempts i even had a crash with blue screen ( before windows boot ) and error message " a problem has been detected .. windows has been shut down ... "

I really need this device to be able to work on this new station . Our IT doesnt know what this is . Any advice would be appreciated .

ps - other anomalies i should mention :
- system is very slow at startup and shutdown .
my old workstation with winxp - 2gb ram is faster .
- One other driver for a trackball (kensington expert mouse - driver trackballWorks by kensington ) have been very slow to install , but has finally worked
- also installed xmouse button ( which worked ) but later uninstalled it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
According to the cirque website Glidepoint 3.6.8 is the latest.

I suggest you right-click on the driver installation package and choose "run as an administrator".

You could also post your BSOD DMPs and maybe that would point to another driver as the issue.

Reaction score
thanks you for your response . the admin mode worked, all drivers arre installed .

Still having some problems though .it seems that win7 treats applications separatly .
for exemple my trackpad buttons work in windows desktop , and in explorer , but not in firefox . ...
Also there is customized buttons issue. I need 2 of my 4 button trackball customized for a CAD software .
I do same as i did in win XP : In driver control dialog I assign keystrokes to the two buttons . But so far no response in the program .

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Apps can redefine keystrokes and mouse operations so it's possible. In fact many specialized keyboards and mice have specific settings they allow specific controls for, most commonly, specific individual games.

For example see this website regarding the scroll wheel in firefox.

Last edited:

Ask a Question