SOLVED Win 7 does not start

Reaction score
I have Win 7 64 bits HP desktop, about 6 months old. About once in 3-4 times, Window 7 does not start. After blue "starting windows 7" message, screen turns black, and doesn't go anywhere. The only way to get out of this is physically unplug computer because there is no restart button. Sometimes I have to do this a few times. Probably some of the start-up program is having problem, but I don't know how to fix this. Please someone help.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Physically unplugging your computer is dangerous. I've seen many people do that, and they end up damaging their power box or another component. Instead, if you have to force a reboot or shutdown, hold the power button for about 5-8 seconds and it will power off.

Firstly though, do you get any error messages or error codes? Is it just a plain black screen, and do you see your mouse on this black screen or a flashing box/ibeam like in dos or cmd prompt?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I you have a W7 system repair disk then I would definitely try booting to that and let it run repair.

Isn't there a power button in the upper right of your computer? As Ace said, push and hold it for 5-10 seconds and your computer should power off.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think you can get into command prompt through the disk as well, so the system file checker would be useful to test as well:

Code:
sfc /scannow

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And since you think it is one of your start-up programs; why not boot up in safe mode.
- Then go to Start and in the search box type in msconfig.
- Run msconfig.exe (authorizing UAC if it prompts you)
- Go to the Startup tab ...
And uncheck the programs you aren't sure about (especially if they look like things you added recently.) Items from Microsoft or Logitech are best left on. Items from HP can be unchecked to see if it resolves you issue but your printer or scanner may not function (usually HP printers install about 6 programs but you often only need two of them for things to function).
- Now go to the General tab and it should be set to Selective Startup and hit Apply.
- Reboot (not to safe mode this time) and see if your problem goes away.
- If this works then go to msconfig again (from normal mode, no need for safe mode) and reenable one of the ones you unchecked.
- Reboot and test again.
- When the problem comes back you know the last one reenabled is the trouble.
- Reboot in safe mode if necessary and uncheck the problem one and continue through the list restoring and test rebooting after each until all are on but the one(s) causing issues.

Reaction score
Thank you Ace, TrainableMan, and Capt.Jack Sparrow for your comments.
I didn't like unplugging computer myself. I will press and hold power switch for 5 - 6 seconds from now on. Thank you for this tip.

By the way, when I have the start up issue, I get black screen after seeing blue "Welcome" screen for about 5 - 10 seconds without mouse pointer. No error message or anything.

I created Win 7 repair disk, and run a few times. No errors were detected. It may have fixed my problem, but it may not. Hard to tell right away since this problem did occured only once in several startups. I also ran memory check, and they were fine.

Also, thank you for how to fish out programs that may causing the problem. But the problem is it does not happen consistently. So, even if the Windows starts without problem, this does not mean I unchecked the error program.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, I'm afraid inconsistent problems are usually the hardest to solve. Watch it for a few days/week and post back if it happens again.

Reaction score
Thank you Capt. Jack Sparrow, I took your advice of "Start up repair 3 times". Although the repair program said "no errors are found" when I ran, it seems it did the job. It has been over 3 days, and I haven't seen this problem since.

Ask a Question