SOLVED Does Win7 have a Soft-Restart Function the way 98/XP did?

Reaction score
As I'm sure many of you already know, older Windows versions 95/98/XP had a way of soft-rebooting Windows; it essentially allowed you to reboot the system without actually turning the machine off.

In the older versions, I believe you just held the shift button down after clicking Restart until it rebooted back to desktop without turning the mechanical parts off completely.

Does Win7 have a function like this?

Or does there exist at least some kind of workaround for all the reboots required during software install/Uninstall?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Holding the shift key during boot in older versions of windows caused it to bypass all the start programs. This would make it boot faster but you would not have your start-up programs loaded. I wonder if this is what you are thinking of?

Other than eliminating unneeded services and start-up programs, I'm not aware of a way to make reboots go faster. I'm not sure why you are constantly installing/uninstalling. I rarely reboot more than once a week myself.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Holding the shift key during boot in older versions of windows caused it to bypass all the start programs. This would make it boot faster but you would not have your start-up programs loaded. I wonder if this is what you are thinking of?
That was indeed what I was referring to; though I didn't realize it wasn't a full reboot.

I'm not aware of a way to make reboots go faster. I'm not sure why you are constantly installing/uninstalling. I rarely reboot more than once a week myself.
I rarely turn off my computer (never in fact)
I test a lot of software for clients... and while doing so, I need to install and test features and viability... once complete, I uninstall.

Just looking to make it more efficient.

Thank you very much for your knowledge.

- Mr. Walnuts (a.k.a. Chris)

Reaction score
Hi Mr. Walnuts,

New versions of Windows are still not very good at 24/7 operation. You should "Restart" from time to time. This is not a shutdown, but it is a full reboot. This cleans out most temporary files and other crap that builds up over time. It also forces Windows to flush the memory cache (and swap file) of things it is holding in anticipation of actual use.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Aminifu said:
New versions of Windows are still not very good at 24/7 operation.
I disagree 100%. The only time I reboot is when an update forces it. That could mean several weeks go by between reboots - all with no degradation of performance - and that's on each of the 7 computers running Windows 7 here, and many of the other computers I am responsible for. And of those of my clients that I am responsible for, many of those are not only on 24/7/365, they are being used 24/7/365 too.

I note "Hybrid" sleep mode in Windows 7 is ideal for desktops. I never turn my machines off at night - they just go to sleep - often with many applications, documents, and webpages still on the monitors, ready to pick up where I left off the next morning. I do this almost every day, and have since I migrated all my systems to W7 over 3 years ago!

This is not a shutdown, but it is a full reboot.
Sorry but that does not make sense. When you shut down your computer, you exit the OS and turn off the computer. When you turn it back on, it boots. That's a full reboot.

This cleans out most temporary files and other crap that builds up over time.
Ummm, no it doesn't. Some temp files will be closed, some deleted, but most (by the 1000s actually) will still be on your system (but not in memory). Hence Windows own Disk Cleanup and CCleaner.

Memory cache and swap files do not need to be flushed. Old stuff is pushed out as new stuff is saved and the various "fetch" features are constantly evolving to meet your computing habits. Purging the fetches and caches can (will) actually slow down boots and loading of your major applications like Windows itself, and your security apps until they relearn your habits all over again.

TrainableMan said:
Other than eliminating unneeded services and start-up programs, I'm not aware of a way to make reboots go faster
I agree. But besides that, there is too much emphasis on boot times. Unless excessive, so what if it takes an extra 20 seconds or even an extra minute to fully boot if your system is raring to go once fully up with the programs you normally use.

For sure, if you are loading up a bunch of stuff at boot you don't need and likely will not use during your normal computing sessions, take them out of the boot process. This is especially true if you have a limiting amount of RAM (say less than 3 or 4Gb). But otherwise, since Windows will stuff idle apps to the background, I would not worry about it.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Does Win7 have a Soft-Restart Function the way 98/XP did?
Just thought of something else. Note the function of the case's front panel power and reset buttons is determined by the BIOS, and often, those settings can be changed by the user to fit his or her needs. For example, power button can be changed so it resets if pressed momentarily, or performs a complete shutdown if pressed and held pressed for 4+ seconds. So check your BIOS Setup Menu. It may have the option you want.

But in any case, remember you should never simply shut down your computer without first "gracefully" shutting down Windows. This ensures Windows has the necessary time to properly save and close any opened files. If not closed properly, critical system files may become corrupt, causing Windows to fail to boot next time. Not good.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If you're installing and uninstalling software for testing purposes, you may want to do it in a virtual machine, if applicable.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Good idea. I might also suggest making a backup image of your disk. Then instead of reinstalling, you just re-image.

Reaction score
I disagree 100%. The only time I reboot is when an update forces it. That could mean several weeks go by between reboots - all with no degradation of performance - and that's on each of the 7 computers running Windows 7 here, and many of the other computers I am responsible for. And of those of my clients that I am responsible for, many of those are not only on 24/7/365, they are being used 24/7/365 too.
Good to hear that about business users. They mostly control what apps are running and generally pick those that are well behaved. I should have said I was referring to home users, especially those who add and remove apps fairly frequently.

Sorry but that does not make sense. When you shut down your computer, you exit the OS and turn off the computer. When you turn it back on, it boots. That's a full reboot..
I'm talking about the "Restart" on the Start button menu. This causes a re-read of the BIOS and restart of the OS. This is a 'soft reboot'. It does everything that a power down and restart does, except for the power down.

Ummm, no it doesn't. Some temp files will be closed, some deleted, but most (by the 1000s actually) will still be on your system (but not in memory). Hence Windows own Disk Cleanup and CCleaner.

Memory cache and swap files do not need to be flushed. Old stuff is pushed out as new stuff is saved and the various "fetch" features are constantly evolving to meet your computing habits. Purging the fetches and caches can (will) actually slow down boots and loading of your major applications like Windows itself, and your security apps until they relearn your habits all over again.
Again, I wasn't clear. I meant that the temp and other crap files would be closed, not necessarily deleted, and removed from active and standby memory. I agree that clean up tools should be used on a regular basis, even automated for some folks.

However, the prefetch files are not deleted by a restart/reboot. Windows would not have to relearn habits all over again. This would only be the case if the prefetch files are deleted, which takes a deliberate action by the user to do so. The OS will take care of deleting or updating prefetch files, over time, on its own. When I've had a busy day installing or updating apps, I do look for and delete any associated prefetch files to keep this valuable function from wasting time with those.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But in any case, remember you should never simply shut down your computer without first "gracefully" shutting down Windows. This ensures Windows has the necessary time to properly save and close any opened files. If not closed properly, critical system files may become corrupt, causing Windows to fail to boot next time. Not good.
I agree. The reset button on the computer case should only be used as a last resort. If you must use it, you should wait until the drive use indicator light has been off for several seconds.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
However, the prefetch files are not deleted by a restart/reboot.
Ummm, I never said they were. In fact, I said,
Purging the fetches and caches can (will) actually slow down boots and loading of your major applications like Windows itself, and your security apps until they relearn your habits all over again.
Also, it should be noted a true, "full" power down does not occur until the master power switch on the back of the power supply is set to off, or the supply is unplugged from the wall. Otherwise, the PSU supplies +5VDC to various points across the motherboard to keep sub-systems (and their settings) alive - like the network interface, mouse and keyboard, as enabled by the various "Wake on..." commands set in the BIOS Setup Menu.

Reaction score
Hi Digerati,

I agree with what you say about a true power down. But that has nothing to do with a 'soft restart'.

As for the newer Windows versions learning the user's habits, the prefetch files are were the OS keeps the info about which files are loaded at boot-up and which apps are used and when they are used. I'm not aware of other major apps or security apps that do this. But, I'm always willing to learn.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
But that has nothing to do with a 'soft restart'.
Right.Be because there are more than just you and me talking, I write so all can understand.
I'm not aware of other major apps or security apps that do this.
I didn't say that either. I said loading of those apps will be longer if you purge the fetch files.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't say that either. I said loading of those apps will be longer if you purge the fetch files.
Aah, now I understand. You are talking about the app and data files that remain in standby memory in anticipation of relatively near term reuse. That is true for data files and for the first time the apps are loaded, if they are loaded outside of their normal load periods that were established. Otherwise, newer versions of Windows will have preloaded the apps into standby memory in accordance with the prefetch data files, then any additional load time will be due to the user data the apps are intended to work with.

Of course, this only happens for those users who actually load their apps at close to the same time, all the time. And how many really do that, outside of office workers stuck in a routine! :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You are talking about the app and data files that remain in standby memory in anticipation of relatively near term reuse.
No I'm not! Please go by what I actually say. "Standby memory"? I don't know what that is so I did not talk about it. And I never said anything about "data" files being preloaded by the fetch routines either, because they aren't - if by "data" you mean user created files like Word docs and Excel spreadsheets.

Of course, this only happens for those users who actually load their apps at close to the same time, all the time.
Huh? No! That is wrong. Superfetch is smart enough to know if you use Excel in the morning and Word in the afternoon, it will anticipate those activities to pre-load portions of Excel (but not your spreadsheet) before your morning routines, then pre-load portions of Word (but not your docs) in the afternoon.

AND, as I noted above, if you alter your routine, the fetch apps will evolve to meet your new habits.

Reaction score
Hi Digerati,

I'm not going to argue with you. You should read some documentation and stop making up or assuming facts. Have you used the Resource Monitor in Windows versions since XP? Do so, and look on the Memory tab and learn what Standby Memory is.

The Superfetch service does the actual app loading, but it's the data in the prefetch files that tell the OS when to use Superfetch to do so. Info in the Registry tells the OS what to keep track of in the prefetch files.

What you are saying is basically right. Its the details of how it is done that you are not correct about.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You should read some documentation and stop making up or assuming facts.
I do read - all the time. Because I don't like posting incorrect data. So please, heed your own advice - especially if you plan to call someone else wrong. You can start here: Superfetch: How it Works & Myths and note their emphasis my bold on the key word,
SuperFetch' second goal is to make applications launch faster. SuperFetch does this by pre-loading your most often used applications in your main memory, based on not only usage patterns, but also on when you use them. For instance, if you have the same routine every morning (Chrome - Mail - Miranda - blu), SuperFetch will pre-load these into memory in the morning. If your evening routine is different (for instance, it includes Word, Excel, and Super Awesome Garden Designer), SuperFetch will adapt, and load those in memory instead during the evening.

Reaction score
I do read - all the time. Because I don't like posting incorrect data. So please, heed your own advice - especially if you plan to call someone else wrong. You can start here: Superfetch: How it Works & Myths and note their emphasis my bold on the key word,
I'm talking about documentation from Microsoft or at least from developers who write code for Microsoft products. Not a guy from The Netherlands who is studying Journalism.

But, you are free to do whatever you do.

You were the one who started saying who was wrong. I was just presenting alternate opinion based on facts from official documentation. There is no one right way to do anything, especially when it comes to PC hardware and software.

Last edited:

Ask a Question