SOLVED Why will adobe photoshop CS3 not run installer?

Reaction score
Hi all!

Really hope that someone can help me out with this one. I am unable to install Adobe Photoshop CS3 on my windows 7 (32bit). When I run the disk, the following shows up:

"Do you want to allow the following programs to make changes on this computer"

When I click "Yes", nothing happens. I have tried right click > Run as administrator but this still has the same results.

This is a crucial piece of software for me. I hope someone can help :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately none of the links your provided are of any help. I can't even get the installer to run. I have tried right click> Run as administrator and tried running it in XP settings. It asks if I wish to allow Photoshop to make changes to my computer and after clicking "yes" it goes no further.

Really getting frustrated with this, PS is vital for my work. I have it installed on my works PC, which is also Windows 7 but I just cannot get the installer to run at home... :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try right-clicking on the installer, slect Properties, Compatibility and try from Vista SP2 through Windows XP SP3. If that doesn't work, you may want to contact adobe and see if there's a update or something.

Reaction score
Try right-clicking on the installer, slect Properties, Compatibility and try from Vista SP2 through Windows XP SP3. If that doesn't work, you may want to contact adobe and see if there's a update or something.
As with the update idea, if you are suggesting an Adobe update I don't see how this would help. Surely the software will need to be install to run an update on it?

Thanks for the ideas though! It really baffles me o_0

Reaction score
Could that be it? Never quite sure how PS reacts with multi pc's.
Its a good suggestion but my works copy is separate, its the companies software.

Any thoughts on it being a driver related issue? When Windows 7 was installed I lost a few drivers including CD-RW/ DVD Drivers, which I re-installed....

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'd also do a Google on how to manually remove Photoshop CS3 just to check the failed installs are not now blocking your install attempts.
I vaguely remember folks having trouble installing PS, but that could have been CS2.

Reaction score
I'd also do a Google on how to manually remove Photoshop CS3 just to check the failed installs are not now blocking your install attempts.
I vaguely remember folks having trouble installing PS, but that could have been CS2.
There shouldn't be any problem with this, as the setup.exe has never manage to get to installation stage, to be honest it doesn't even look like it starts. But I will have a nose around.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

Reaction score
Usually, especially with Adobe, when they release a patch/update, it's in all actuality a newer version. Thus, if they have one, download and see if it will install. If not you need to either get a newer version than CS3 or find a comparable program.

Reaction score
Got a few things to try when I get in now then. Thanks for the ideas guys, I will keep you posted.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you actually logged in as an Administrator or are you simply providing an administrator userid and password? I would definitely make sure I was logged in on an administrator account.

Also, you might try lowering User Account Control settings before running it rather than granting Administrator privilege. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts and select Change User Account Control settings. Slide the bar all the way down to never notify. Then logged on to an Administrator account, try the install. (I believe this should technically work the same as setting it to Run as an Administrator but since you are having problems it seems easy enough to give it a try.) Be sure to return User Account Control to the desired setting after install.

Reaction score
Are you actually logged in as an Administrator or are you simply providing an administrator userid and password? I would definitely make sure I was logged in on an administrator account.

Also, you might try lowering User Account Control settings before running it rather than granting Administrator privilege. Go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > User Accounts and select Change User Account Control settings. Slide the bar all the way down to never notify. Then logged on to an Administrator account, try the install. (I believe this should technically work the same as setting it to Run as an Administrator but since you are having problems it seems easy enough to give it a try.) Be sure to return User Account Control to the desired setting after install.

Hi thanks for that, I only have the one user set up on the machine and it is the Admin user account. Haven't managed to try the other thoughts just yet had a very busy evening last night only home for around an Hour before going to sleep.

Thanks everyone ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones advice. But unfortunately none of them worked.

However, I have fixed the issue. It wasn't until I tried to run another peice of software that claimed "d3dx10_41.dll" was missing that I realised what was wrong. I downloaded the latest Direct X releases, ran and install.

Hey presto, Adobe PhotoShop CS3 Setup installer now runs ;)

Thanks again all!

Ask a Question