Why is 25% of my RAM in use all the time?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I can see in task manager that 1GB out if 4GB is in use at all times!!! Any idea why? The only thing running is Avast.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That is a lot-. A small portion is allocated to running essential services in the OS, but not 1Gb. Can you post your Msconfig Startup tab, it might help us to sort it out.

Last edited:

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
ummm,,,how do I do that? sorry I'm not very tech savvy :(

edit: I figure it out. I don't know however how to post a picture of it.

Here are the programs that are listed:
MSE
Avast
Adobe Acrobat
Adobe reader and Acrobat Manager
QuickTime
Adobe Systems Inc, Adobe gamma loader

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you run the "snipping tool" from the start menu, you'll be able to take screenshots and then attach them to this site using the paperclip icon, after clicking the green post reply button.

To find the place Dave suggested, type "msconfig" in to the start menu search box and press enter. Then, click on the startup tab and take a screenshot using the snipping tool.

I would also suggest loading task manager (right click the task bar then click "start task manager"), then click the processes tab and sort the list using the memory column. If you could also attach a screenshot of that it would help.

If you need any more help on how to do this, then just say and we can explain in more detail. :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Kalario

37 processes running can you post your system spec inc any USBs attached.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Hi Kalario

37 processes running can you post your system spec inc any USBs attached.
I am at work now, but later I would post my system spec (if you tell me how). Not sure if the external hard drive was attached then (USB). If it is, will disconnect it and see.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It may help but. First you have no need to be running the following resident. Bot Adobe etries and Quick time.
You have two Anti virus programs running. This is not a thread to debate either, but disable one. reboot an se what you've got.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
With Windows 7 basically idle, I'm using about 30 to 35% of my RAM

I have always considered that to be about normal. XP Pro used about 1GB of RAM

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Forget it. I misread the OP. I assumed he meant only 3gbs were left available.

1Gb (25% in the OP's machine), in use would be quite normal, as Nibiru has already indicated.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I use around 18% RAM but then I'm on 6GB, i would say you have enough running at 37 but then again i have seen a lot more running .....

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I use around 18% RAM but then I'm on 6GB, i would say you have enough running at 37 but then again i have seen a lot more running .....
That's about right. Roughly 1.08GB in use. I stand VINDICATED! :ridinghorse:

Reaction score
Mine uses about 1GB or 1250MB 40% ram when in Idle that's with startup itams as well but no Apps open. But I have 3 GB.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This may or may not help, but if you have CCleaner, there's a program in there that lets you disable startup items. Options such as Adobe, any Photo programs, printers, or any program not needed at startup may help. Still, 25% RAM at idle is a lot.

Ask a Question