Microsoft TechNet Plus Subscriptions Now Available at 25% OFF

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Got this in my email today! Offer good until 7-31-2010!

I LOVE MS! By then I'll have the money saved up; woohoo!

Watch out for the link though, it may take you to the United Kingdom MS website.

Just change the country on the drop-down menu in the upper-right corner of the window navigation bar.

Office 2010 and Windows 7 available now!
Get access to full version copies of Office 2010 and Windows 7 through TechNet Plus Subscription.

Act now to save up to 25%* on your TechNet Plus Direct subscription. With this subscription, you can get your hands on Windows 7 Enterprise and even Office 2010 Professional Plus before it hits general availability! Learn firsthand how to optimize your desktop environment to take advantage of all the features of Office 2010 and Windows 7. Act now to save up to 25%*
Use promo code TNWNF

Learn more about Office 2010
U

A TechNet Plus Direct subscription gives you access to:

• Service packs, betas and full-version Microsoft software** without time or feature limits for evaluation and planning purposes
  • TechNet Plus Library with a wide range of technical content, such as whitepapers and support related documentation
  • Unlimited use of TechNet Managed Forums - receive technical answers within 2 business days
  • Select complimentary Microsoft E-Learning courses and resources to improve technical skills
  • 24-hours/7 days of TechNet Online Concierge Chat to help find resources you need
TechNet Plus Subscription provides you the technical resources and support to help you run an efficient IT environment.

*Offer ends July 31, 2010 and applies to new TechNet Plus Direct subscriptions only. Final pricing may vary due to local taxes. Offer is available in the United States only. Click here for full details.

**Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only-not for use in production environments. TechNet Plus subscriptions include the most recent Microsoft software version. Visit Microsoft Software License Terms for details on your use rights for evaluation software and other components of the TechNet Subscription product.

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our Privacy Statement.

If you would prefer not to receive future promotional e-mail messages from Microsoft Corporation, please click here to unsubscribe. These settings will not affect any newsletters you've requested or any mandatory service communications that are considered part of certain Microsoft services. To set your contact preferences for Microsoft newsletters, see the communications preferences section of the Microsoft Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 USA

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I got this deal through the last deal that Nibiru posted, and believe me, you're getting your money's worth, and then some. For less than the price of full retail Windows 7 Pro, you get it all! That office suite showed above is being pre-ordered right now for $499.99, for Professional Plus. There are two other options. But why even bother with buying separate OS's, office packs, servers & so much more, including online training, when you can have it all. My subscription cost $282.02 after tax. If I were to buy from Microsoft Store what I've downloaded in the last week, I would have spent over $1800. You have access to OS's going all the way back to 3.1. And what's even better, you can get up to 10 keys for each OS that's on the list! No matter how you stack this deal up, there's no negative about it. Download & Enjoy!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Don't wait much longer, this deal will run out as supplies are deleted. Oftentimes on many specials, there is a pre-set number (although they don't say this), and once this number is reached, you may be left out. That's why I acted early. The sooner you act, the sooner you'll get your benefits (which are HUGE!).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
.........................the sooner you'll get your benefits (which are HUGE!).
Really huge. But it depends on how much of that software you can use, for your own pure interest or for development.
I have waited for some years for the other shoe to drop, if you know what I mean, but still have not fathomed this generous convenience.
On the other hand, many may have a huge use for testing all that gear, but I would assess that on the whole, I have probably paid ,through the subscription, for more than I have actually used, and kept, on my computer.
Perhaps it is so in the majority of subscribers, and Microsoft are aware of that, which is possibly the catch.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It is a great convenience to me, as I only download what I use. I now have Vista SP2 on my laptop, while it's not as good as Windows 7, it does look better than 7 on that laptop. And a fresh copy of XP Pro SP3 as well. Ultimate & Office 2010 Professional Plus on my desktop. I couldn't possibly afford all of this software buying each program. Then, there will be the beta of the next Windows at some point, followed by the full version. Microsoft knows what's going on, but they're getting $300 a year (US Dollars) per year from the subscribers. They're making plenty of money, or they wouldn't be doing it. It's also another steady source of income for them between OS releases. A win-win deal for all parties. As long as it's not abused, and the software is on your computer(s), I don't see where it's a problem. However, for a business user, this can be a big problem, because the EULA states that the software is not to be used in a production/business environment. It's for personal use only, to evaluate the software. There's also several courses that you can take to help you stay up to date (if that's possible) with new technologies. There's a lot more than OS's and office software for download here. It provides you with a lot of knowledge, and I read articles on the site on a daily basis. Being homebound, as I am, I enjoy being able to read and learn things that I otherwise would not be able to do. $300 yearly ($25 monthly) is a small price to pay for everything that you get in return.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Don't wait much longer, this deal will run out as supplies are deleted. Oftentimes on many specials, there is a pre-set number (although they don't say this), and once this number is reached, you may be left out.
I DON'T think MS will run out of subscriptions. They're not a Wal-Mart or Best Buy where there's a certain quantity on-hand.

Sounds like some of your sales manager training coming into play here Cat! LOL!

The discount ends on 7-31-2010 and not a day sooner.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"However, for a business user, this can be a big problem, because the EULA states that the software is not to be used in a production/business environment. It's for personal use only, to evaluate the software. "

Not quite. It may be a matter of interpretation!
What it says is,
" If you comply with this agreement, for each license you acquire, you have the rights below."
"One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software "
"You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it.

"You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up."

"modify it for your internal purposes;
use it (modified or not) to provide support services to your customer;
distribute it without modification to your customers, as part of your support services, for their internal use."

I read point 4 as an intended protection, should the evaluation model screw up the environment where it is being used. Only one person is in control of the evaluation, working as an advisor to those who are being instructed in any new techniques.??
Nothing about for personal use only. In fact I would say it's primary purpose is for the testing and evaluation by corporations.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're right, it's can be used to train employees with. But it can't be used in a production environment. For example, it can't be used to monitor production (linked to machines), or to actually conduct business with (doing accounting work, or tax returns, etc.). That's what I meant regarding the production/business deal. The employees can be taught how to use the software to conduct business & monitor production with, yes, but not actually conduct business or monitor production with it. It's learning software, not profit generating software.

When you click onto the main page of the TechNet website, prior to signing in, go to the bottom of the page, and click "Terms of Use". There is a long list of terms. The third on the list is "Personal and Non-Commercial Use Limitation". There, it states that "Unless otherwise specified, the Services are for your personal and non-commercial use". There is a ton of information on this page regarding the terms of membership. I read it carefully prior to making a decision to join. It goes on and on, even saying to protect your password. It's a fairly easy to understand document. But I have no problem with the EULA, I'm not using it for business anyway. It is a great program to be a part of, and I hope that Microsoft continues to offer this program, it's good for their business, and good for their customers.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It does ask you to protect your password, but it could mean anything. But I've had no problem with the site since becoming a member. I only download what I use, and don't abuse the site. It's really a good deal. I'm positive that Microsoft knows what's going on, in regards to users having the best OS's and office software. But they're getting a steady stream of cash from the program, and to them, that's the bottom line. If they wanted no personal use of the program, the enrollment requirements would be tougher. They would require you to be an IT employee, or whatever. In fact, to download the Enterprise OS, you don't have to be a member, but they ask you your job position. If you say that you're a hobbyist, you won't get it. But if you say you're an IT worker, you will. When you join TechNet, all they want is your credit card, name, address, phone#, email address, and your Windows Live ID, if you have one. I already had one. That's all. They give you a membership number (you know the ropes) and away you go. It's being advertised all over the net as we're here, the special. They want all of the members they can get, regardless of employment or anything else. That's how they make their money.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
6.TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. The first user of the software may transfer it and this agreement directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies.
I have always wondered about this as shown at the website.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes. That would seem to be the legal let out, should you pass the software on to a friend or relative.
Uninstall Windows before sharing it?

Btw, when does this offer end? I might apply...

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Fire Cat, as stated in the first post, it's good through 7/31/2010. Make sure that you enter the correct code when purchasing the product.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Uninstall Windows before sharing it?

Btw, when does this offer end? I might apply...
Uninstall any software!
But this would be, I assume, per activation, of which a Technet subscriber has 10 per sofware item.
But the curious para quoted by Nibiru is still, I feel, very wide open to individual legal interpretation.

Like Cattiley, I would not care to jeopardise my subscription, so I do not abuse it.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Uninstall any software!
But this would be, I assume, per activation, of which a Technet subscriber has 10 per sofware item.
But the curious para quoted by Nibiru is still, I feel, very wide open to individual legal interpretation.

Like Cattiley, I would not care to jeopardise my subscription, so I do not abuse it.
In other words, you mean that if you want to give a Windows Activation Key to a friend, you must uninstall any Windows which is using the key in question? Am I right?

Thanks,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Let's use Windows 7 as an example, there are several editions: Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise. EACH of the those editions you get up to 10 product keys to use.

Let's say I have 10 product keys for Professional. I am using product key #1 for my computer. My son wants to update his desktop to Windows 7 Professional. Being the loving, generous father that I am... I give him Product Key #7. It's his now and I will no longer be able to use it, but I still have product keys 2-6 and 8-10 which are not activated and for my use.

Ask a Question