Why do some programs open immediately & others ask for permission?

Reaction score
:confused:Please can anyone tell me how to make programs such as Ccleaner open without me having to give permission to run. I use Win7 64bit Professional. Not all programs ask for permission and I am wondering what makes some programs acceptable and others not?
Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The permission is an added security feature, since Vista, so that programs affecting critical OS areas, such as the registry or Program File directories must get your authorization first. CCleaner is definitely in the category of programs that effect these areas.

You can go to Control Panel \ User Account
Change User Account Control settings
If you set the level to 0 I believe it will stop asking you, but this is not recommended by Microsoft

It's value is in protecting you from bad programs that may try to touch your system areas without your knowledge, like you run a program that has a little game or something to distract you while it is slipping in some malware - if it is disabled you won't be warned so you need to be ever more careful what you run.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you TrainableMan. I have gone straight from XP to Win7 so don't really know anything about Vista. Is there a way of setting Win7 to accept the programs I trust other than using the 0 setting in the UAC. I have a single desktop computer and I am the only user?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thank you TrainableMan. I have gone straight from XP to Win7 so don't really know anything about Vista. Is there a way of setting Win7 to accept the programs I trust other than using the 0 setting in the UAC. I have a single desktop computer and I am the only user?
Ancient Lady - Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

Since you're the only user of a single computer, you can go ahead an set the UAC to a 0 setting and you won't have any problems at all.

I am a single computer user and the administrator of it and have my UAC set to 0 also with no problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I have gone straight from XP to Win7
Me 2

Is there a way of setting Win7 to accept the programs I trust other than using the 0 setting in the UAC.
Not that I have ever heard about. I run mine at 0. Basically its the exact same risk I had with XP. Use a decent antivirus/antispyware/antimalware solution and get your files from reliable sites.

Reaction score
Thank you both for the replies. I use Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010 and I scan regularly with Malwarebytes and the security suite. I use Secunia Psi to keep my software up to date and I also am an avid user of Ccleaner. So far never been infected with a virus so think I will put my UAC to zero and see how I go.

Reaction score
What apps in particular are you having the issues with? Some of them are run as an administrator which is where the prompts come in and you can simply turn off run as admin. Case in point is MS Office 2007 Outlook, just uncheck box and prompt stops.
run as admin.PNG

Ask a Question