Windows 7 explorer stopped working no programs open either hellllpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
the windows explorer stops workiing no program file application or command will work everything crashed and control alt delete does not work this is WINDOWS 7 BUILD 7227 i have a dell dimension 4550 and good gb and its not to much space im very confused....NOTHING WILL OPEN. IT STARTS UP ILL PUT MY PASSWORD IN AND EVERYHTING WILL OCME UP BUT WHEN I TRY TO OPEN ANYTHING VIEW ANY FOLDER it crashes then the explorer will stop working i cant even get on the internet.. is there a way to fix this or a way to downgrade back to xp without losing my stuff or can i reinstall it but when i installed it i used it in a iso and i have no cd's and now i have made the drive with 7227 a slave on this computer but can i install the iso on the slave drive because if i set the slave as a master it still wont work cuz the program wont work and ive tried system restore i have no restore points for some reason ive tried everything now i all i can do now is have it as a slave and view its files on this computer and open stuff form it but i cant boot it anymore HEELLLLPPP PLZ

Reaction score
I have the same issue

I have this same issue, where the first time I turn on the laptop it won't allow me to do anything. It shows that certain things are trying to finish setting up like my wireless connection, but it never connects. Also none of my programs will open up. The start menu will open up, so I can click the restart button, but any other applications hang.

I found the best way to get around this atm is to tell the laptop to restart. The second time it starts up I have no issues with it.

My issue started after I partitioned my HD into to sections one for Windows 7 the other for XP. I found the XP VM very unreliable, which is why I did this, but also found Remote Desktop Connection to an XP PC works better than the XP VM. If you unplug the Slave drive does it still give you issues when you start up the machine? I know in my beta copy of Windows 7 I had an issue where I could not partition the drive for the two operating systems.

If you want to downgrade back to XP I would load all the files you want to keep onto the slave drive then format the master for XP. Me personally though I would rather burn everything off onto a cd so I know I will always have a copy of the data and the computer can not corrupt the slave drive. I know Windows 7 has a backup feature, but it turned into 4 DVDs compared to Sony Care back-up which was only 2 DVDs.

Just curious how you changed the original drive of the Dell to the slave. Did you move any of the jumpers on the back of the HD at all? This could be the reason you can not get it as a master anymore.

I will have to do more research. I never have liked Dell products due to their lack of support, but I am still researching why this issue occurs with Windows 7. I hate having to start the laptop and then have to restart it just to begin working. Most posts I read states they can not get Windows 7 to crash, but already I have a list of crashes including a blue screen crash on a brand new laptop.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum both of you.

Sharpear, if your laptop is brand new, why not take it back and get it replaced?

Ask a Question