SOLVED Browser or programs only open once

Reaction score
Pulling my hair out again! Blasted machine. I open Firefox and surf about, close it and it won't open again w/o a reboot. Programs won't open after the browser has been open as well. Hang on, I'll be back...

Yep, just wanted to make sure. My desktop shortcuts open once as well. This is extremely aggravating for me, especially since I've started two online businesses! I'd be willing to take a day with someone with remote access to get my mess cleaned up so I can use this damned machine with some kind of efficiency!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a little better idea of what's going on. I run into this problem intermittent, but often enough to be extremely aggravating and since I'm trying to make a buck with this, I need to get it resolved.

Just now, Firefox wouldn't open, just faded out on my task bar, so I decided to run CCleaner to see if it would help. CCleaner told me I needed to close Firefox or it would be skipped! That means Firefox is already open but there's no indication of it that I can see.

I would be willing to allow one of you tech wizards here to get into my system to tweak, clean, organize and fix this mess of mine. This biz stuff o' mine ain't gonna work unless I can get this monster set up properly.

Reaction score
OK, so now I can't close my browser if I want to keep working. I don't have a life as it is. Someone please help a decrepit old fart out.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you sure the programs aren't just minimized? Check your taskbar and see if maybe it is on there. The reason I ask is I can't think of any reason why they would not start again unless in actuality they are already running.

Also multiple occurrences of the same browser get grouped together on the taskbar by default so you could have two instances of IE but only one taskbar entry; to stop the grouping you need to change start menu property settings.
To do that, Right-click on the start orb and choose properties; select the Taskbar Tab; and beside Taskbar buttons choose "Never combine".
TaskbarNeverCombine.jpg
I would encourage you to make this change because it makes it so much easier to tell what programs are actually still running via a quick look at the taskbar.

Here in this example of mine you can easily tell where File explorer is closed on the top screenshot and open to my libraries on the one below...
Taskbar-Icon.jpg

Reaction score
This sounds familiar - with Firefox, I occasionally encounter this, or a simmilar issue - firefox appears to be closed (it's not on the taskbar, and not even in the list of running applications in the task manager) but firefox.exe will still be listed as running process in the process list in the task manager.
The fastest way to get firefox running again when you encounter this issue is going to your taskmanager (press ctrl-alt-del on your keyboard, and choose "start task manager")
There, go to the "processes" tab, and check if "firefox.exe" is among the running processes. If so, select it, and choose "end process"
After that, close the taskmanager, and try to start firefox again.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
This has been an ongoing problem for ages, with FF. This is an old fix, but might still work:
In Windows Explorer, go down the path:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\5nipw14w.default
Open the folder and delete “parent.lock” FF must be closed when you do this!

You can also disable the Automatic updates in FF. This has helped in some cases.

Reaction score
This is getting just ridiculous. I've applied all the fixes suggested, ones that applied (there weren't multiple instances and IE doesn't apply to FF and the path you gave me, Dave, doesn't exist; I could find no "profiles" folder in Mozilla at all!). I'm having to cheat to get online, going to the HP Shop for Supplies icon and opening from there. I can't open other programs and installing programs is a laborious chore if I can even get it done.

I had a fellow out to look at my computers and one think he recommended was that I uninstall my Kapersky, he said he hadn't seen a virus in nearly 10 years and I was operating OK when he left. Well, now I'm involved in internet marketing and I'm trying to reinstall my AV and it's just not happening.It seems that this super-fast, top-o-the line machine has bogged down.

I've tried everything I can think of, spent money I probably shouldn't have spent on "fix-it" programs and I'm trying to operate a work-at-home business and that's very difficult with what's going on now.

I need a computer guru fast. I have Team Viewer. I know Windows 7 also has the capability of allowing remote assistance. Is anyone here willing to go in and straighten out my mess? I'm on a fixed income, but I'd be willing to pay a reasonable "consultant" fee for the service (my last computer guy charged me $75 for four hours work and he came to the house!). Now, I know that some of you certainly value your time more dearly, but please, be gentle on me.

:eek:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Just a few thoughts.
Did your HP system come with Norton installed?
When you installed Kaspersky did you run the Norton clean-up tool to completely remove Norton from your pc?
Did he/you uninstall Kaspersky?
Did he/you use the clean-up tool for that?
Do you have any AV program installed now?

""and the path you gave me, Dave, doesn't exist; I could find no "profiles" folder in Mozilla at all"" The Profiles folder is inside the Firefox folder which is inside the Mozilla folder

Last edited:
Reaction score
It came w/ Norton, but I uninstalled it.

I uninstalled Kapersky

No AV now, but I'm trying to reinstall Kapersky.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
It came w/ Norton, but I uninstalled it.

I uninstalled Kapersky

No AV now, but I'm trying to reinstall Kapersky.
Did you use the clean up tools though when uninstalling? They'll both leave dregs behind that will intefere with any other AV you install (or possibly on a re-install).

Can you keep opening and closing a program from desktop shortcut unless you open a browser (FF and/or IE??) when it changes to only once? Or is it only once anyway?

Reaction score
Don't think I used the clean up tools. Not sure I understand the second question. And Safe Mode... I should be able to enter that from F9, correct? When I reboot and press F9 or FN+F9, it just opens Windows normally.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
On my desk it's F8. Follow the instructions on the Kaspersky page, but run the Norton in Safe Mode.

Oh, Is this issue on the pc under your specs? The HP p6620f?

With the second question, if you don't go on the internet, can you open, then close, then open, then close etc. a program.
Is it once you go on the internet that things get "locked" so you can only open them once?

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"the path you gave me, Dave, doesn't exist; I could find no "profiles" folder in Mozilla at all!). "
Well. This is mine.

Path.png

But if you have no profile folder, then you should reinstall FF.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Had a fellow helping me here a bit and FF is opening. Would still like some "hands on" assistance from an expert, but it's opening properly at the moment. Now to get some AV back on here (I hope).

Reaction score
Well, I can't get the Kapersky Installer to open and the browser is back to its old tricks.

Reaction score
Pulling my hair out again! Blasted machine. I open Firefox and surf about, close it and it won't open again w/o a reboot. Programs won't open after the browser has been open as well. Hang on, I'll be back...

Yep, just wanted to make sure. My desktop shortcuts open once as well. This is extremely aggravating for me, especially since I've started two online businesses! I'd be willing to take a day with someone with remote access to get my mess cleaned up so I can use this damned machine with some kind of efficiency!
Programs that fail to exit completely after closing (which can be examined and confirmed by inspecting the processes tab in taskmanager), may very well be the result of some forum of malicious software.
Grab this program and a blank CD (get the correct version for your architecture) double click the downloaded program and it will create a bootable CD for you to run a full scan of your system, independent of your Operating System. See if that produces any positive results.
Now would probably be a good time to confirm that you have a recent backup of any and all of your critical data.

Reaction score
I performed a backup, burned the files to disk, but I can't open them. And I still can't open Firefox.

Reaction score
Giving up for the night. My computer is just broken and I don't know how to fix it. I hate these friggin' machines!

Reaction score
OK, I got things going again, I hope. Ran the Windows Defender boot, reinstalled Malaware and ran it, did other stuff that was suggested, but I've now lost track. I'm also bullet proof again and man is it ever pinging!

I don't know how much IM work I'll be able to do unless I can tone down Kapersky, but at least I've made some progress. And thank you everyone for the help.

Ask a Question