Who qualifies for a TechNet subscription

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I.E. Did you download and install Windows 7 Beta? (I know I did; 1st I tested it in Virtual Box and 2nd I did a full install and ran it as my 'live' OS to see if it played nice with all my hardware and software)

This would qualify you for the Subscription.

Draceena - Very True! Plus for myself I was asked by MS back in 2001 to be one of the BETA testers for XP in April of that year.

Now as of today I have been asked to become a member of the Microsoft Online Research Panel which does surveys and feedback for Microsoft.

I guess IMHO, I'm way qualified.

Reaction score
So you guys are saying I could purchase a TechNet subscription and then install the downloaded software to a newly built PC. Once activated the PC is good to go for life because the keys are good forever regardless of the wording "for evaluation".

I now understand that anyone is qualified.
My question now is how the software can be used before it is classified as pirating?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So you guys are saying I could purchase a TechNet subscription and then install the downloaded software to a newly built PC. Once activated the PC is good to go for life because the keys are good forever regardless of the wording "for evaluation".

My question now is how the software can be used before it is classified as pirating?
To answer the first question, YES. As long as the system is in the subscriber's possession there are no issues.

You're definitely qualified, particularly since your a forum moderator and such a kind, generous, and gifted individual. :)rolleyes:)

Now if you give a key or keys to some products to let's say your boss or the county coroner or your Aunt's hairdresser then that would be considered pirating.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score

As long as you have your own OS, you may use the software. Your OS (OEM or Retail) does NOT have to be installed, it can be backed up. The point is that you're supposed to have your own OS.

I've had no problems whatsoever, I have most every version of XP, Vista & Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit), as well as an Office for each. Counting my VM's, I'm running nine TechNet supplied OS's, and six Offices. Only two of them are my OEM OS's.

There is no time limit on the software, that was posted on the link that I provided last night. Even after your membership has ended, you can log on and recover your issued keys, but can't get new ones until you resubscribe.

It's all in the documentation.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Counting my VM's, I'm running nine TechNet supplied OS's, and six Offices. Only two of them are my OEM OS's
Cat - You need to get outdoors more... really! You have way too much time on your hands.

Your wife must have the patience and perseverance of Job! (Biblical, not Steve.)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Did you read the part about 12 months in that. link I had found? It seems contrary to what your link says. No wonder Clifford thinks it's unclear whether he is even welcome to join, Microsoft can be quite ambiguous.
There is no conflict of policies there. With respect, your link refers to subscription details.(subscription being for only 12 months, as Cat said). Cat's link refers to subscription benefits. As Nibiru pointed out, I the magic word there is "access" to the keys. You must make a copy, or download the keys, as you "access" them. When your account expires, you no longer can access them through the benefits site. However, on renewal, you will find they are once again available . - the same keys, not a new batch.

Looking through this thread, I read that Cliffs dillema is not with the Technet subscription, but the use of such software by members of this site. (??). Perhaps this is really walking along a very thin line. Leave out the Technet issue, for a moment. I am certain, without having the knowledge to prove it, that there are members here who are using illegal (read "pirated") copies of software , including MS OSs, obtained from other sources than Technet subscriptions.. It can sometimes be detected through questions asked, concerning problems which have only occurred through the use of bad material.
Maybe many would disagree, but I do not consider it any concern of sites such as this to pry into this aspect. The only consideration is to ensure that links, and methods to counterfeit pirate materials are not allowed.

Fwiw. I think,with the recent reduction, for new subscribers, of the number of available keys, MS have struck the first wedge into the Technet subscription. It is obviously, because of it's misuse, causing pirating problems for MS. I would forecast it's closure to all but vetted applicants in the future.
As with other sites, there are MS employees on these pages. They will, without prejudice, read threads such as this, and the opinions expressed will find their way back into the melting pot in the Microsoft organisation.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You're right, I do have a lot of time on my hands. And messing around with OS's & computers is a great way to kill it. At one time, I was very outgoing, I loved to go anywhere where the party was. Drank until I dropped, and can't begin to count the number of times that I did drop, but my wife probably can.

Then, when I became ill, and had no more free beer (and good cooking on the grill) to hand out, I found out who my friends really are. I'm now a loner, living a sheltered life, just trying to pass the day away. Thanks to TechNet, my days passes fairly fast. My mind is on something other than pain.

My wife gets onto me sometimes, but I've learned to let it pass from one ear through the other. After 22 years of marriage, it's not quite like a honeymoon any longer, but our marriage is still functional. While she may crawl my butt sometimes about the time I spend keeping up these computers, at the same time, she wouldn't allow for anyone to mess with them while I'm gone.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Then, when I became ill, and had no more free beer (and good cooking on the grill) to hand out
I call those "buddies" because when the beer, smoke and food run out they're nowhere to be seen. True friends never act that way, but unfortunately they're very few and far between.

Reaction score
Maybe many would disagree, but I do not consider it any concern of sites such as this to pry into this aspect. The only consideration is to ensure that links, and methods to counterfeit pirate materials are not allowed.
I do agree with you.

I'm not trying to pry into anyones affairs. I am considering a subscription for myself and need to know how the subscription is to be used. At first I was thinking I needed to qualify. Now its a question of how the keys are to be used.

I found one technical writer state that he dropped his subscription and realized the keys should not be used even though they remained active. I wish I had saved that location. I tried to find it again later and couldn't. This one statement is contrary to what we have posted on more than one occasion.

As a Moderator, I should know what "is" or "is not" allowed to be posted. Call me what you like, I have my reasons for asking and see no reason I should withdraw the questions.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Cliff - you have perfectly valid points here, regarding your potential purchase of a TechNet subscription.

I believe davehc misconstrued your thoughts and comments regarding the subscription and related policies pertaining to it.

His blanket statement:
I am certain, without having the knowledge to prove it, that there are a substantial number of members here who are using illegal (read "pirated") copies of software , including MS OSs, obtained from other sources than Technret subscriptions.. It can sometimes be detected through questions asked, concerning problems which have only occurred through the use of bad material.
First of all if one can't prove the previous statement, then it should not be made, that's being disingenuous and accusatory of members. Sure there probably are some who have pirate copies of software, but a "substantial" number? The use of the word implies "nearly all" as that is how I read the definition of substantial, and therefore I don't believe so.

Usually we can discern from the OPs comments about whether or not they're using "pirated software", that's because they're such goobers most of the time and plainly state that fact.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The main issue in this thread is the morality, or legality, of purchasing a Technet subscription. This is something for Technet to debate on, imo. What subscribers do subsequently, with the software, is where the borderline of legality is crossed.
The other point raised was not exactly in keeping with the thead. No offence to Clifford, as he has raised a very interestin issue, but I do not see what I misconstrued in this comment
"On a site that does not support Pirating issues, I must bring up this issue about TechNet and ask where the line is drawn. When does it become Pirating software while using TechNet as a way to download their software?
Have we crossed a line on forum policies while promoting TechNet subscriptions that could be associated with pirating."

If using the word "substantial" offends, and is regarded as an accusation against the majority, then I apologise and withdraw the word. I have amended it in my original post.. Obviously, wiothout access to every computer on site, or obtaining a straightforward answer, from each and every, commonsense dictates the difficulty of trying to prove it. The same argument might apply, considering the above quotation, to the members who are using Technet software.
I have said before that, whilst I might not totally condone the use of pirated software, I do not consider it any of my business. I would continue to give help where it was appropriate.

Reaction score
I received my response from TechNet today.

Thanks for your mail Clifford.

That is an interesting thread that you started over on the w7forums. It seems to discuss many different questions related to TechNet Subscriptions License Compliance, from who is eligible to purchase a subscription (short answer: anyone is eligible), to what sort of use is licensed with TechNet Subscriptions (short answer: only evaluation of the software included, no production use, no home use).

Let me direct you to this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/tnfeedback. This is the forum where we discuss various aspects of the TechNet Subscriptions with our customers in an open forum, and where myself and others can respond in an official capacity directly and publicly to questions.

Thanks,
Mike
Subscriptions Support
This led to finding a thread with the same questions - Technet Subscription Question
Technet Subscriptions are meant for IT Professionals (i.e. people in corporate environments who manage PC's) to evaluate software BEFORE actually PURCHASING the software. The reason they remove the typical limit of Windows evaluation versions is because we need to test the OS for compatibility with our corporate applications, which could take months with different fixes for that OS, etc. While the EULA allows the software to be installed on Home machines, It is not meant as a service as many have been lead to believe through other sites or friends as a "Full versions of everything microsoft for a yearly fee".

Portion of Technet EULA:

b.Certain Components.
  • Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.

"You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating..."

This basically says NO USE except for TESTING, as Technet was designed for, and to be used for.

So to answer your question in basic terms, for what you want, No, it is not allowed. You need to purchase retail copies of Windows 7 for your PCs. If you have 2 or 3, a Family 3 Pack would offer a discount.
Please note this statement, which fully explains my questions for this thread.
It is not meant as a service as many have been lead to believe through other sites or friends as a "Full versions of everything microsoft for a yearly fee"
Also note this comment from a MSFT Moderator that follows the response. If I'm not mistaken this is the same person that answered my Email.
Sorry for the delay in my response, but thats very good answer Chris. Thanks for providing it.

Mike

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Nothing really new there, I guess. The various links in this thread pretty much confirm the above quotes.
It begs questions though.
Here is one that leaps out
"we need to test the OS for compatibility with our corporate applications, which could take months with different fixes for that OS" ,
or
"This basically says NO USE except for TESTING,"

And we can still download, for example Windows 3.1??? from Technet. It blows the mind to think that some are still officially testing that OS
I would suggest to technet that they ask for stronger credentials, to achieve their objects.
The MVP scheme has been broadened, to include even very active helpers on forums. This is not common, and is normally processed through the recommendation of the Forum/site Administrator. I am well acqauinted with one such awardee, who is a private individual in retirement, with no previous computer corporate background. Being awarded an MVP status, conveys with it in most cases a Technet subscription. Presumably, the person mentioned might as well toss the subscription on the bonfire, as he is not entitled, in any sense, to use it.

Perhaps, until Microsoft Technet changes its procedures, it is best to let sleeping dogs lie?

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well all I'll say is that I hope this does not foul things up for some users such as myself who want to get a TechNet subscription!!

Looks like the proverbial can of worms has been opened now.

In hindsight, I totally regret ever posting anything about TechNet subscription offers and discounts, because now a few have decided to "run to the teacher" about all of this.

As Yogi Berra once said: "It's deja vu all over again." I feel like I just went through the Stargate back to elementary school.

Plus others jacking their keyboard jaws about it... I got this, that, eight version of this, six versions of that, running fourteen versions of windows going back to the last days of the dinosaurs.

If this turns out to where I'm unable to get my TechNet subscription early next year I am going to be really upset!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So clifford, you started this thread. Are you satisfied you have the answer? Would you consider it solved? Microsoft seems to confirm you are eligible to join.

The software has always been for testing purposes - that's what it says on the webpage. I don't see any harm done. And though it doesn't matter to me, as I don't plan to join, I understand the membership is 12 months and keys can be obtained during that time but the test software is valid indefinitely.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"In hindsight, I totally regret ever posting anything about TechNet subscription offers and discounts because a few have decided to "run to the teacher" about all of this."

I feel for you, Nibs. But don't take it too much on your own shoulders. Since the pre mentioned opening in MVP status (it comes under the vague "Windows Desktop experience" MVP category), this kind of discussioin is now rampant on Windows forums, inclufding the Technet forums themselves.

Reaction score
I figured I would end up pissing someone off and frankly I don't care. At least I know what my options are.

@Nibs, "Run to the teacher" - Is this not what you are? People come to you every day asking questions and you give answers. Your comment sounds as if you don't think anyone should run to the teacher. I am choosing to forget you said that and continue my search for truth.

@TM, I have decided the subscription would not be an advantage for me.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I figured I would end up pissing someone off and frankly I don't care. At least I know what my options are.
Yeah you can do that because you're a moderator, if anyone else here pisses somebody off then YOU have the option of warning them or banning them, BUT who moderates the so-called "moderator"? Hmmm?

Reaction score
Yeah you can do that because you're a moderator, if anyone else here pisses somebody off then YOU have the option of warning them or banning them, BUT who moderates the so-called "moderator"? Hmmm?
If you feel it was the Moderator and not Microsoft's Regulations that pissed you off, take it to Ian. My part in this thread is over, I satisfied my curiosity about Technet regulations.

I first ask the forum and was getting contrary information. And now that I posted my findings you are pissed at me. It was not my initial intent to make anyone mad but realized shortly after that the results probably would. If you can prove my findings are not accurate, which is what I was asking for in the beginning then fine lets hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question