New TechNet Package offered for less!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
This week, TechNet introduced a new package, Microsoft TechNet Subscription Standard. It contains many of the features of my package (TechNet Subscription Professional), except Enterprise products aren't included, and no free support is included. Any previous discount codes still in effect will apply to purchase. The best news of all, is the price. The initial (1st year) is $199, renewals $149. What a deal!!!

With this package includes most Windows releases from XP & up (all versions of XP, all versions of Vista & all versions of 7, except Enterprise products). Remember, Office products are included, too. If you have a family, you can really come out big.

But with these packages, the sky's the limit. On my desktop & notebook, I have every dualboot combo possible, with VM's running in Linux through Virtualbox. If I had to pay for all of the software that is activated & running on my computers from Microsoft Store, I'd have spent over $4,000 easily. That's right, $4000, and that's being conservative, it's probably more. My point is, the sky's the limit!

Hopefully, some members will take advantage of this new offer, while there's a coupon still out. Nibiru posted one that's good through July, and 25% off of $199 brings it to $150+ tax. Enjoy!:D

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
When you click onto the link to buy, all three options are listed, and beneath them is a place to enter a promo key. It's there on the page that you linked above. It doesn't say that the new one is not allowed a promotion anywhere on the page.

But promotion or not, this is an outstanding deal anyway you cut it. That price is about what the full retail is for 7 Home Premium. If you're in the market for an OS or Office package, this is by far a better deal.

Reaction score
This week, TechNet introduced a new package, Microsoft TechNet Subscription Standard. It contains many of the features of my package (TechNet Subscription Professional), except Enterprise products aren't included, and no free support is included. Any previous discount codes still in effect will apply to purchase. The best news of all, is the price. The initial (1st year) is $199, renewals $149. What a deal!!!

With this package includes most Windows releases from XP & up (all versions of XP, all versions of Vista & all versions of 7, except Enterprise products). Remember, Office products are included, too. If you have a family, you can really come out big.

But with these packages, the sky's the limit. On my desktop & notebook, I have every dualboot combo possible, with VM's running in Linux through Virtualbox. If I had to pay for all of the software that is activated & running on my computers from Microsoft Store, I'd have spent over $4,000 easily. That's right, $4000, and that's being conservative, it's probably more. My point is, the sky's the limit!

Hopefully, some members will take advantage of this new offer, while there's a coupon still out. Nibiru posted one that's good through July, and 25% off of $199 brings it to $150+ tax. Enjoy!:D

Cat
cat thanks for your very informative post Here is another interesting ,Microsoft sends invitations to testers for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2 SP1 this is also a great read I have a link here for anyone that wants to get in like I did TESTERS OF SP1 WANTED

thanks again cat
regards
jeffrey

Reaction score
Here is my feedback.

I want to turn automatic updates on, without the updates automatically rebooting my PC. I want to disable the automatic word select within Wordpad. If these two items are not included within SP1, I'm not interested. I am happy otherwise.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I doubt that will happen. Usually, on Update Tuesday I select to download the updates, and let me install them. However, sometimes an update will slide in when you're not expecting it, and a reboot will be prompted. What you can do is this, it's worked for me once (the last round of updates, which were many). Prior to doing anything on that evening (if you can remember) manually check for updates, and get them out of the way.

That's the only way that I know of to prevent the normal schedule of updates from disrupting you, w/o turning off auto updating. I don't like turning them off myself, but if I'm folding, and nearly through with one, I will.

From what I've read, SP1 wont really mean that much to Windows 7 users, but to the server OS, it will be more of an impact. As for me, I'll wait, I don't want any beta SP's.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
When you click onto the link to buy, all three options are listed, and beneath them is a place to enter a promo key. It's there on the page that you linked above. It doesn't say that the new one is not allowed a promotion anywhere on the page.

But promotion or not, this is an outstanding deal anyway you cut it. That price is about what the full retail is for 7 Home Premium. If you're in the market for an OS or Office package, this is by far a better deal.
From the original subscription page:
*Offer ends July 31, 2010 and applies to new TechNet Plus Direct subscriptions only.
Final pricing may vary due to local taxes. Offer is available in the United States only. Click here for full details.

Just wanted to post this so everyone knows up front that the full price of $199.00 for the TechNet Standard Direct applies, no discounts on this puppy!

As Cat stated: "
But promotion or not, this is an outstanding deal anyway you cut it. That price is about what the full retail is for 7 Home Premium."

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do stand by that, discount or not, you can't beat that deal. You know, MS is making it more and more attractive to use their products, by making this offer. You get down to the nitty gritty, every three years (assuming a three year product release schedule) you're going to spend close to that (more for two family members & above). Why not have the total package for the family? Win 7 Pro & Office 2010 Pro Plus on every computer in the house, even the kids. That's prestige, your kid having the privilege of carrying a notebook like that to school.

If MS really gets into the ads and really pushes this deal, it'll fly, I have no doubt about that. Having a 30 second commercial twice a night in prime time on all of the major networks will guarantee it's success. This deal could easily widen that close gap that Apple claims to have in sales against MS, in fact could blow them away. As long as MS's marketing team doesn't drop the ball.

I've done my share, I printed 30 copies of the deal and posted them in prominent spots to be seen, there's a business section of the library here, plus the front lobby, and the computer section. Then I took the last 10 and posted them at the Chamber of Commerce, the city assistant manager was very impressed with the deal, and he's one who is hard to impress. Normally, he's a jerk, but he took one from me, he has three kids (teenagers), and I'm certain they have laptops.

So if everyone gets the word out, if only you make one sale, that will be plenty. That one sale will make the MS family that much larger, and one more closer to total dominance in the marketplace.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The query come up so often, with subscribers fishing for a more positive answer.

IMO, the Licence terms and eula have been worded, to leave the subject open to interpretion. Apart from technet's real purpose - to get the software out to company tech executives, for their evaluation - it also creates a smaller field of income from private users who wish to evaluate. It is the latter who need to interpret the terms. As you can imagine, a company planning to spend a large amount of cash on an unknown quantity, are obviously going to need to deploy it on more than one computer in their businesses.

Wouldn't this, for example, by interpretion, cover the family in the licence agreement:

"2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. If you comply with this agreement, for each license you acquire, you have the rights below."
"a. General.
• Single User License. If you acquire a single user license, one user may install and use copies of the software on any of your devices."

Quote "Why not have the total package for the family? Win 7 Pro & Office 2010 Pro Plus on every computer in the house, even the kids. That's prestige, your kid having the privilege of carrying a notebook like that to school."

I think Microsoft would do everything to avoid this directly legal option - for your own subscription protection. I think it would be a matter of a few days before the kids "prestige" allowed him to offer a copy to his best friend, including the key, thus creating an even wider spread of pirated copies and.more important, seriously jeopardising the owners licence. No preventative methods would work - it is the nature of things. Apart from the above, it could not fit into the principal of the Technet offer:

"Evaluation Software. One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up"

(I notice that, so far, throughout this thread, the evaluation clase has not been mentioned.)

FWIW, I copied this from the Technet forums, posted by an MVP in reponse to the obvious question.
"The licensing terms are vague and according to Microsoft directly, as long as you aren't running, supporting, operating a business with the TechNet software, you are within your legal rights to use and evaluate the software however you see fit "

I emphasise, again, that this is definitely IMO. I would read between the lines of the MVP's response. Don't force Microsoft's hand on this. They may have to start writing rules into the licence agreement, which could well be to the detriment of all users. I.E Don't rock the boat, we may all get wet.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
My perspective is this; these subscriptions are not for every Tom, Dick and Harry. I don't believe MS should advertise these via mass media at all.

These are for the geeks out there, not Uncle Fred who runs a barber shop or Cousin Wilma who has a donut shop.

We here at this forum comprise a very small segment of computer users worldwide, I posted the original thread for those here and here alone. Some have taken advantage of it, some haven't.

I don't believe MS intends for this to reach the masses by any stretch of their intent. To quote davehc: " Apart from the above, it could not fit into the principal of the Technet offer:"

Offers such as this from MS are meant for people such as ourselves, period!

I don't want to jeopardize offers such as this by having it spread amongst people who would take advantage of it to the "nth" degree! Because that is just human nature.

Again davehc puts it quite plain and sums it up quite well: " I think it would be a matter of a few days before the kids "prestige" allowed him to offer a copy to his best friend, including the key, thus creating an even wider spread of pirated copies and.more important, seriously jeopardising the owners licence. No preventative methods would work - it is the nature of things. Apart from the above, it could not fit into the principal of the Technet offer."

davehc's comment at the end of of his post says what I feel most succinctly:

"Don't force Microsoft's hand on this. They may have to start writing rules into the licence agreement, which could well be to the detriment of all users. I.E Don't rock the boat, we may all get wet."

KUDOS to you davehc! I appreciate your wise, well written response.

Let's remember that offers such as this from MS are meant for a very small, select set of computer enthusiasts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What I would like clarified is whether the license purchased during the Technet subscription are still valid after deciding not to renew the following year. I don't know for sure, but I can only see the license being valid during the life of the subscription.

A comment that I read has left me wondering the answer to this question. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this subject.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Cliff - as best as I understand it and another person I know who has a TechNet subscription told me that the keys you obtain via the subscription are good for life. As long as the keys are used on equipment personally owned by the current / former subscriber there are no problems.

If davehc has any info or could shed some light on this, I think it would be enlightening for all of us. Perhaps JeffreyOBrian would know also.

BTW Cliff, that is a very good question, one that I have thought of but never publicized it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's my understanding that the software is valid for life, provided the copies are on your devices, and you're not turning a profit with it. You don't need to be a member year after year, although you miss out on a lot by being out of the program.

However, Microsoft keeps up with each license number that issued to each member, and those keys better not had be activated on anyone else's equipment, or you'll never see another membership, period.

Perhaps I may have been wrong in my reasoning that this software is intended for everyone, but you go to their web page, you would think so, too. The different levels are laid out much like the different versions of Windows 7, a flavor for everyone. And when you pay, there's no questions about your job, or anything. You do have to read and agree with the rules prior to them accepting your payment, and that's basically it. No hassle whatsoever.

I do realize that the program is targeted at IT workers and developers, but there are no steadfast rules in place saying that you have to be one, as I've already said, you're not even asked about employment. It's there for anyone who is willing to pay and abide by the rules, which I have. Every piece of software that I've acquired is on my devices, except Windows 3.11, which I couldn't get to boot, and you didn't need a key for in the first place. Since it was useless to me, I shredded the disc, along with other things that I shred monthly (bill statements, etc). As far as my spreading the word of their services are concerned, I seriously doubt I've broken a rule by telling others. If I've done anything, it's placed more cash in MS's pocket, not mine. I've led at least eight new subscribers their way, and have no idea of how many others I have and don't know about. Like me, they paid with honest money, with honest intentions, to learn. I wouldn't knowingly lead someone to the program that would use it for profit or to do dishonestly with it. Placing the software on your devices, regardless of the number you have, as long as it's not being used inappropriately (for gain or profit), is within the rules. They (MS) has a way of determining whether the software is on your devices or not. The IP address where the software is activated is one way of determining, there are also "updates" that's placed on the system in question, that you must accept in order to use the software. So there are controls in place (at least as far as keeping the subscriber honest) to prevent piracy and illegal usage.

As far as the interpretation of every last word, that would be difficult for anyone to do. But as long as you're not violating the rules of the program, I don't think MS is going to bother anyone. No company is going to bite the hand that feeds them (their customers).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
That is correct. Solid confirmation is that I have one piece of software installed from Technet about three years ago. It is noy the most outrageously used program, and I have still 9 licences (keys) unused. But, as to the query, the licence (key) is still valid, as I have discovered from subsequent reinstalls.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Lol. No, you have broken any rules. May be quicker, and get a wider response, if you just tell them to google for Microsoft Technet subsciption Standard.
If you try it, you will find that, at the moment, just about every tech, or remotely tech, sit on the web b is currently pointing to it!

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
you just tell them to google for Microsoft Technet subsciption Standard.
Works on Ixquick too!

except Windows 3.11, which I couldn't get to boot,
That's good! Your hardware was probably too advanced for it... it was looking for that Intel 8086 processor! LOL!

Reaction score
I do stand by that, discount or not, you can't beat that deal. You know, MS is making it more and more attractive to use their products, by making this offer. You get down to the nitty gritty, every three years (assuming a three year product release schedule) you're going to spend close to that (more for two family members & above). Why not have the total package for the family? Win 7 Pro & Office 2010 Pro Plus on every computer in the house, even the kids. That's prestige, your kid having the privilege of carrying a notebook like that to school.

If MS really gets into the ads and really pushes this deal, it'll fly, I have no doubt about that. Having a 30 second commercial twice a night in prime time on all of the major networks will guarantee it's success. This deal could easily widen that close gap that Apple claims to have in sales against MS, in fact could blow them away. As long as MS's marketing team doesn't drop the ball.

I've done my share, I printed 30 copies of the deal and posted them in prominent spots to be seen, there's a business section of the library here, plus the front lobby, and the computer section. Then I took the last 10 and posted them at the Chamber of Commerce, the city assistant manager was very impressed with the deal, and he's one who is hard to impress. Normally, he's a jerk, but he took one from me, he has three kids (teenagers), and I'm certain they have laptops.

So if everyone gets the word out, if only you make one sale, that will be plenty. That one sale will make the MS family that much larger, and one more closer to total dominance in the marketplace.

Cat
I do stand by that, discount or not, you can't beat that deal. You know, MS is making it more and more attractive to use their products, by making this offer. You get down to the nitty gritty, every three years (assuming a three year product release schedule) you're going to spend close to that (more for two family members & above). Why not have the total package for the family? Win 7 Pro & Office 2010 Pro Plus on every computer in the house, even the kids. That's prestige, your kid having the privilege of carrying a notebook like that to school. SO Very true,Microsofts new office pro 2010 is Awesome,I just noticed in just 6 days there has been 1.2 million copies installed on USA computers,here so far we are at 675,000 copies I really can see after using the new office why everyone is talking about this software.Microsoft are
more closer to total dominance in the marketplace.I have the above offer & will renew it again when due.Awesome post cat
respectfully
jeffrey

Reaction score
Cliff - as best as I understand it and another person I know who has a TechNet subscription told me that the keys you obtain via the subscription are good for life. As long as the keys are used on equipment personally owned by the current / former subscriber there are no problems.

If davehc has any info or could shed some light on this, I think it would be enlightening for all of us. Perhaps JeffreyOBrian would know also.
BTW Cliff, that is a very good question, one that I have thought of but never publicized it.
Nibiru,
here are m8 fresh from MS & you were right,
Dear Jeffrey,

Thank you for your email regarding TechNet.

I understand you require details on the product keys.

Please be informed that all of the software downloaded from the TechNet website is perpetual. When your subscription expires, you can still use the software and the product you have downloaded when your subscription is active. However, you will not be able to download new software if your subscription is expired.

If you require any further information or have any questions in regards to this email, please contact us again.

Thank you

Olivia
Microsoft Subscriptions team
13 20 58 <option 3> (Australia)
0800 444 392 <option 3> (New-Zealand)
(e-mail address removed)

regards
jeffreyobrien
:)
I am sending azure stuff on thursday morning will email you then

Ask a Question